HOWTO: MIDI Sync Over LAN

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dotpim

HOWTO: MIDI Sync Over LAN

Post by dotpim » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 pm

1. Introduction

I always really wanted to be able to have two PC's running Ableton Live in perfect sync, and never found a good tutorial or actually working and stable solution.
By combining knowledge from a lot of posts on a lot of forums and experiencing lots of frustration doing so, I finally got it. In this post I will try to share how to set this up.

If you want to be able to change bpm while you are playing, this tutorial is not for you.

2. Required software

Windows XP - Because the version of MIDIoverLANPlus I used only runs on XP, newer versions of this software should run without problems on newer Windows versions and even on mac.

Ableton Live - Tested and working on versions 7 and 8.

Musiclab MIDIoverLANPlus 1.1.112 - This tool is used to transfer the midi signal over the network, and provide a local virtual midi port for the computer running the clock.
Newer versions work as well, but setting them up is a bit different but. It's a shame I couldn't find a free solution instead of Musiclabs software. They have fully functional 30 day trials though.
The freeware ethernetmidi tool does not work, even though it gets mentioned a lot in threads about midisyncing over lan.
Update: I found a free piece of software that promises to provide the same functionality as MIDIoverLANPlus: Wac.NetworkMIDI (v1.2)

MIDI-OX - This tool is used to send a midi-timecode (mtc) signal to both computers. Freely available at: http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm

3. Configuring MIDIoverLANPlus

Install this software on both computers, reboot them both. Then start the configuration utility from the windows control panel. One computer will send the midi signal (pc1) and one will be receiving a midi signal (pc2).
On pc1, setup at least one local pipe (this is used to send the mtc from MIDI-OX to Live) and at least one MIDI to LAN port. You can leave the buffer and port settings at defaults.
On pc2, setup at least one MIDI from LAN port. Make sure you use the same port as on pc1.
Apply the settings and close the configuration utility.

4. Configuring MIDI-OX

Install this software on pc1 only. Via Options>MIDI devices add the needed MIDI outputs. I used LAN-Out 00 and Pipe-Out 00.

5. Configuring Ableton Live

Make sure the MIDIoverLANPlus configuration utility is running before Live is started, otherwise Live may not recognize the ports you need to configure. This took me forever to find out.
Open the midi settings via Options>Preferences>MIDI Sync.
On pc1, enable sync for Pipe-In 0, track and remote functions should be disabled.
On pc2, enable sync for LAN-In 00, track and remote functions should be disabled.
On both computers set sync type to MIDI Timecode, set MTC Frame Rate at 30 fps. MIDI Clock Sync Delay should be on 0 ms for now, this will be adjusted later.
Close Ableton Live on both computers.

6. Configuring local network

I had the best results using a crossover lan cable between both computers. This provides you with <1 ms network latency. Setup manual IP's on both pc's, for example 192.168.100.100 and 192.168.100.101, subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Being connected to a wireless network at the same time resulted in MIDIoverLANPlus not functioning anymore, so just turn it off.
Firewalls should be disabled (since you are working on a local network it problably won't hurt you), or at least make exceptions on both computers for the port MIDIoverLANPlus needs.

7. Actual usage instructions

After setting up the things mentioned above, reboot both computers to be sure MIDIoverLANPlus driver is loaded correctly with the new settings (yes, I do like to reboot when doing things like this).
Now, on pc1 one start the MIDIoverLANPlus configuration utility, and just leave it open. Also start MIDI-OX.
On pc2 also start the MIDIoverLANPlus configuration utility.
In MIDI-OX open View/Generate MIDI Time Code, set it at 30 fps with accuracy set to 5 ms. Start the clock before starting Live.
Open Live on both computers now. Click the EXT button in the upper left corner on both computers. You should now be receiving a time code signal.
This signal runs at fixed bpm, the trick to get it working at your desired bpm value is having the clock running before starting Ableton Live, then enable external sync on both computers (as mentioned above).
Now stop the clock in MIDI-OX, but leave the program open. Set bpm at the right value on both computers and start the clock in MIDI-OX again. Both computers should now be receiving time code and play at the correct bpm.
Any mixer can be used to combine the audio signals from pc1 and pc2, I used a third computer for it. Find a solution that works for you.
It's time to get things running in sync now. This involves a bit of playing with latency values. First I made sure that the various latency related settings for the sound cards on pc1 and pc2 were set identical.
On pc2, leave the MIDI Clock Sync Delay at 0 ms. Get a metronome playing on both computers. Adjust MIDI Clock Sync Delay on pc1 until both metronomes are playing in sync, for me 24,5 ms works perfect.

That's it. I tested this on multiple setups and it just works. Here's a 4 hour proof of concept mix, stayed in sync until the end: http://soundcloud.com/pim-2/pim-vs-nikl ... eetway-nye
Last edited by dotpim on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotpim

Re: HOWTO: MIDI Sync Over LAN

Post by dotpim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 pm

I forgot to mention how awesome this is.

tendo

Post by tendo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:05 am

:P awesome!

barstu

Post by barstu » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 am

Good work man. I've been thinking of using a 2nd laptop live for a while now so have been interested in this field. I was wondering why the tempo can't be changed on the fly? Is this a limitation of MidiOX?

Have you seen this software? http://nic-nac-project.org/~rocket/midi/midiclock/ Its an alternative to using midiOX I think, no personal experience.

For what it's worth here's some interesting posts I found when looking into this a while back.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123021
http://abletontweets.com/post/126300941 ... -good-idea

dotpim

Post by dotpim » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 am

The tempo change limitation has to do with the fact that midi time code does not send bpm information. So you're stuck with the bpm you set in Live before you start external sync. As far as I understand this is not a limitation of MidiOX, but it's just the way it is. If anyone knows more on this I would love to read it.

Concerning the midiclock tool you mention: I couldn't get it to work properly. I tried sending midiclock information using midiclock and MidiOX, but kept having an inconsistently synced setup. My bet would be midiclock just does not work stable enough for dj'ing on Ableton Live clockslaves. After wasting countless hours, if not days, I gave up on the midiclock method. Anyway, even without being able to change bpm this is still very exciting for me.

barstu

Post by barstu » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am

Yes it's a great discovery and your effort is much appreciated!

HouseContainer

Post by HouseContainer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:30 pm

I also discovered the application and put a Ableton Live MIDI MTC Sync Tutorial online with screenshots.

TrOoLos

Post by TrOoLos » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 am

Great! Thanks Housecontainer for the link. It works like a charm. I managed to setup a fully working Matsre-Slave LAN-SYNC . BPM Sync works great!

Manik

Post by Manik » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 pm

what is the advantage compared to normal midi sync??
can it do stable tempo changes?

thanks for the howto!!!

phobik2000

Post by phobik2000 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:33 am

Any advancements on this MIDI over LAN thing? I'm trying to sync two laptops and gear using only IP.