making sounds sound close or far?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bertzerk

making sounds sound close or far?

Post by bertzerk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 am

specifically drum sounds but for anything really. how do you make something sound like its in the back, or then bring it up so it sounds like its right in front of your face?

is it just reverb settings? im trying to figure a consistent way of doing this, but havent gotten a surefire way to do it that sounds legit....

also since we are on this question, how do you make a sound sound like, say a flyby, or something that is moving quickly from way out ahead of you to swooshing behind you? i get panning, but some music or movie sound effects really sort of capture that illusion quite awesomely..

is there a doppler type effect in Live Suite?

any help would be rad....im a bit of a noob at sound design. probably gonna be asking a lot of questions like this....

muckleberryblim

Re: making sounds sound close or far?

Post by muckleberryblim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm

doppler effect is just (downwards) pitch shifting and panning
automation of reverb can add realism too
and also try eq/filtering, taking out more frequencies the further away something is...

muckleberryblim

Post by muckleberryblim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:19 pm

and try convolution reverbs for "real" environment emulation, there's is a free one called SIR

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 pm

To make a sound realistically "swoosh behind you" it would need to be mixed in 5.1

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 pm

say ionly have ableton stuff, how specifically would i get the sounds to sound far or near with the reverb settings?

im not 100% clear on what i should be doing with the pre delay, diffusion, etc... can anyone tell me a specific way to get things to sound further or closer?

thanks for the replies! this forum rocks!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF2TQ3s5FuY

That video is a really decent use of Live's Reverb in a specific case. But what I like most about it is that he breaks down his application/theory quite well and then, taking that knowledge and applying it while reading about the Reverb effect in the Live manual really seems a lot easier to swallow.

Also, the reply by muckleberry blim, I would read a lot into the things he's mentioned (especially the eq/filtering aspect)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 pm

bertzerk wrote:specifically drum sounds but for anything really. how do you make something sound like its in the back, or then bring it up so it sounds like its right in front of your face?

is it just reverb settings? im trying to figure a consistent way of doing this, but havent gotten a surefire way to do it that sounds legit....

also since we are on this question, how do you make a sound sound like, say a flyby, or something that is moving quickly from way out ahead of you to swooshing behind you? i get panning, but some music or movie sound effects really sort of capture that illusion quite awesomely..

any help would be rad....im a bit of a noob at sound design. probably gonna be asking a lot of questions like this....

Close is upfront

Loud level, clearly heard, and virtually dry reverb (using predelay help make the short reverb sound wet while still sounding close).

Far is in the back.

Low level (volume), muffled (lowpass filtering), and ambient (reverb depends on what far is depending on environment you are trying to create).

Lennox

Post by Lennox » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:04 pm

bertzerk wrote:specifically drum sounds but for anything really. how do you make something sound like its in the back, or then bring it up so it sounds like its right in front of your face?

a lot of this can be done with the tool difference, its under FX > utility

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 pm

any time based effect can help you do this, but reverb is the best. also focus on volume and pan place ment

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 pm

bertzerk wrote:
check this thread......http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241371
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 am

Hey!

I was thinking - maybe something like Crysonic SINDO? http://www.crysonic.com/sindo.html

there are lots of plugs out there like that - happy hunting :P

maestronobones

Post by maestronobones » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 am

jlgrimes wrote:

Close is upfront

Loud level, clearly heard, and virtually dry reverb (using predelay help make the short reverb sound wet while still sounding close).

Far is in the back.

Low level (volume), muffled (lowpass filtering), and ambient (reverb depends on what far is depending on environment you are trying to create).
this is the correct answer

bandito3

Post by bandito3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 pm

zeropoint wrote:
bertzerk wrote:
check this thread......http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241371
the mpx's linked in this thread gave me the chills - specifically the one featuring the box of matches. I need to learn how to achieve this effect!!!

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:42 am

just get a doppler vst. i know i have a free one, so im sure theres more just look around.