Rises, washes, flourishes.. How do you do them?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
outershpongolia

Rises, washes, flourishes.. How do you do them?

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

I love the whole rising up intensity that a lot of house/techno DJ's use, I want to know how people are coming up with these..

What's this "white noise" build up I hear about?

Kristijonas

Re: Rises, washes, flourishes.. How do you do them?

Post by Kristijonas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 pm

You can generate white or pink noise in most sound editing software. If you have no one, Audacity (free) can do this for you: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
When you will have a noise sample, put it in Live and play with Auto Filter, Eq, add verb if you like, etc. cut sample, create rhythmic phrases out of noise sample - everything depends on your imagination :wink:
SOUNDPROVOCATION
Check out my new release: "Eccentric Grooves"

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:21 am

sounds good, thanks

pipedreams

Post by pipedreams » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 am

i was just playing around with making some sounds like this by adding a big reverb with a long decay time to a snare or other little hit resampling it to another track and then reversing it. can get some pretty cool sounds playing around with differnt effects like that.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 am

pipedreams wrote:i was just playing around with making some sounds like this by adding a big reverb with a long decay time to a snare or other little hit resampling it to another track and then reversing it. can get some pretty cool sounds playing around with differnt effects like that.
I'm gonna try this out right now, same little trick as a reverse cymbal I suppose, only I can try and time it out so I can make 4 bar, 8 bar etc samples

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:10 pm

make a ton of them, the put em into a sampler, one per key...

then you can just 'feel it out' with your fingers on your midi controller to find which ones are best for a given song.

fast fast fast!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

brucek

Post by brucek » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Interesting hearing these methods. I usually start with the native ableton 'distored wind machine' and tweak it to make it rise. I also like to take cymbals and reverb and stretch the hell out of it for a similar effect.

On this note. I wonder if there is some sort of VST that can assist in creating wooshy buildups? Anyone?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:03 pm

brucek wrote:Interesting hearing these methods. I usually start with the native ableton 'distored wind machine' and tweak it to make it rise. I also like to take cymbals and reverb and stretch the hell out of it for a similar effect.

On this note. I wonder if there is some sort of VST that can assist in creating wooshy buildups? Anyone?
At first I wondered.., then I slapped myself on the wrist because I'm trying to use ONLY ableton devices/instruments in my Live set.. I like the idea of a sampler loaded with different ones, they'd be fun to actually swoop and swoosh them live instead of just triggering a clip

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm

i use that multisample technique for EVERYTHING.

it's going to be detailed in my 12 week online course when it drops in the summer.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 pm

brucek wrote:Interesting hearing these methods. I usually start with the native ableton 'distored wind machine' and tweak it to make it rise. I also like to take cymbals and reverb and stretch the hell out of it for a similar effect.

Sylenth is a great VST for generating incredible build ups. This is in part due to the 'white noise' waveform you can have on all four oscillators.

arafel

Post by arafel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:05 am

If you've got RMX.. watch the tutorial vid "reverse cymbals must die trick".

Turns RMX into your rise/ wash/ flourish or build up goto plug. Easy.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm

you have operator? it can create pretty white noise. put some eq8 behind it with a lowpass and a highpass filter on (or two autofilters) and, at best, map both to the same midi knob or such.

swoosh upwards and downwards for lots of fun. add a reverb behind so the take-out sounds sweet echo-like.

oh, and optionally, put a compressor in sidechaining mode behind it, so you can make the beats drop in with full punch at will.

operator is very powerful and my default tool for about everything. takes the magic out of all those effects if you notice all you need to do is a noise + some filtering :)

i have one building up till some break/new thing (till the 16th beat), and one starting at 0 and going down from there.

you can hear it here http://soundcloud.com/davepermen/davepermen-4080160 (shameless plug :))
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.