How to warp audio in drum racks?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
zalo

Re: How to warp audio in drum racks?

Post by zalo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

do you really want to warp? or do you just want time stretching?

impulse can time stretch

guff tong had the best idea, work your beat out in arrangement view, then freeze/flatten it and throw the flattened(warped) samples into drum rack, or resample the entire beat the way you want it after that slice to midi with the warp markers at the cut points and it will put it all into drum rack for you

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 am

abletony84 wrote:also, please show y'all support by heading over to Wishlist: Ability to warp audio in drum racks and second this thing as a feature request..
you might want to do a search for "time-stretch in sampler" - that has been wished for a few times and is basically what you're asking for.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 am

Hello!

Well actually I have to warp because the samples has elements that don't follow the timing of my beat so...

Likewise, i've really gotten into the habit of doing all my stuff in session view (for maximum control / modularity / whatever).

What I plan on doing tho is, yeah as some of you pointed out (much obliged for that) - to create a seperate liveset just for the warping. It's gonna be hard tho since I can't do this in conjunction with the beat in realtime but rather work this thing out from memory and ear...

or maybe i missed something?

maybe a max for live patch can solve this?

I really do hope Ableton will consider making their warping function available across all their instruments that use audio.

Thanks again guys!

monohusche

Post by monohusche » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

no, M4L won't help you here unless somebody wants to replicate the sampler/simpler instruments including time stretching.

it's kind of strange that Sampler doesn't have time stretching, but regardless of that, to apply warping to cut-up samples and single drum hits would be quite hard anyway, as Live needs some transients to work out the tempo.

So even if Sampler would have time stretching, it still would be easier to resample the whole loop beforehand at the correct tempo, and slice it to MIDI afterwards.

Of course, that implies that you don't have tempo changes within your performance set but a consistent tempo throughout.

hope I understood your issue...

nick

zalo

Post by zalo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

i dont see why you would need a separate live set just for warping

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm

monohusche wrote:no, M4L won't help you here unless somebody wants to replicate the sampler/simpler instruments including time stretching.

it's kind of strange that Sampler doesn't have time stretching, but regardless of that, to apply warping to cut-up samples and single drum hits would be quite hard anyway, as Live needs some transients to work out the tempo.

So even if Sampler would have time stretching, it still would be easier to resample the whole loop beforehand at the correct tempo, and slice it to MIDI afterwards.

Of course, that implies that you don't have tempo changes within your performance set but a consistent tempo throughout.

hope I understood your issue...

nick
thanks for that..
zalo wrote:i dont see why you would need a separate live set just for warping
dont i have to like re-record my warped sounds to the arrangement view before i can export them and import them back into live? seeing as how my arrangement view in the end will occupy a recording of the beat itself...

monohusche

Post by monohusche » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:12 pm

no, if just change the tempo of your set to the desired one, and then freeze/flatten the track/clip in the session view, this action is actually desctructive, meaning it creates a new file on your hard drive (right click on the clip and look at the location on your hd) which has the new tempo.

you can see that at the bpm number in the clip view (underneath the warp button), it will then be the same as the set tempo, so Live isn't warping that clip anymore...and now you can cut it up without the slices being out of time

no need to go to the arrange page

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

monohusche wrote:no, if just change the tempo of your set to the desired one, and then freeze/flatten the track/clip in the session view, this action is actually desctructive, meaning it creates a new file on your hard drive (right click on the clip and look at the location on your hd) which has the new tempo.

you can see that at the bpm number in the clip view (underneath the warp button), it will then be the same as the set tempo, so Live isn't warping that clip anymore...and now you can cut it up without the slices being out of time

no need to go to the arrange page
true that man ... matter of fact:
alex.the.forge wrote:the second, far easier option is to do what the others have suggested and first decide on the tempo you want the track to be at, then consolidate/bounce/whatever your warped clip at this tempo so that it will fit once you slice to MIDI - the easiest way I have found to bounce is to use "freeze track" and then hold option + drag the clip to another audio track (you can actually just use "flatten" but I always like to have the option of going back to the original) - this will also freeze with all the effects on that track so you might want to disable them and put them on the new MIDI track after the drum rack so you can still change them later... or you may want to freeze/consolidate with them on - up to you
Success!! sorry it took so long to realize y'all..

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu May 06, 2010 8:45 pm

edit: nm. well-answered.

georgelindsay

Post by georgelindsay » Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:
the second, far easier option is to do what the others have suggested and first decide on the tempo you want the track to be at, then consolidate/bounce/whatever your warped clip at this tempo so that it will fit once you slice to MIDI - the easiest way I have found to bounce is to use "freeze track" and then hold option + drag the clip to another audio track (you can actually just use "flatten" but I always like to have the option of going back to the original) - this will also freeze with all the effects on that track so you might want to disable them and put them on the new MIDI track after the drum rack so you can still change them later... or you may want to freeze/consolidate with them on - up to you
Hi, I have been having a similar problem as abletony84, the way that you have suggested works but my problem now is that once you've done it this way you then loose all the warp markers from the original audio file that took so long to set up to get it all in time. Which obviously means you have no option to slice to midi using warp markers unless you go back and re do all the warp markers on your new audio file. Is there any way around this?

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 am

georgelindsay wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:
the second, far easier option is to do what the others have suggested and first decide on the tempo you want the track to be at, then consolidate/bounce/whatever your warped clip at this tempo so that it will fit once you slice to MIDI - the easiest way I have found to bounce is to use "freeze track" and then hold option + drag the clip to another audio track (you can actually just use "flatten" but I always like to have the option of going back to the original) - this will also freeze with all the effects on that track so you might want to disable them and put them on the new MIDI track after the drum rack so you can still change them later... or you may want to freeze/consolidate with them on - up to you
Hi, I have been having a similar problem as abletony84, the way that you have suggested works but my problem now is that once you've done it this way you then loose all the warp markers from the original audio file that took so long to set up to get it all in time. Which obviously means you have no option to slice to midi using warp markers unless you go back and re do all the warp markers on your new audio file. Is there any way around this?
hi
you should be able to use "slice to transients" instead and it should slice in more or less the same way

AYBABTU

Post by AYBABTU » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Currently you have to work at the tempo you will end up at and warp the loop to be sliced to the tempo first, then you freeze and flatten that clip. Then you slice it and it will fit the tempo you warped it at.
But the previous post just said that with the addition of option click dragging frozen clip into an audio channel so you don't need to flatten. soooo nevermind, I'd have deleted this post but it doesn't seem I'm allowed to.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Sorry, I didn't read all of this, so forgive me if I'm way off, but if you slice things quantized into a drum rack, and then place that drum rack into a drum rack slot, you can place an arpeggiator within the slot as well to go a certain number of quantized notes(going up at increments of 1 semitone), and either loop or stop. You can even apply a very limited form of swing. Last thing I'm not sure about is utilizing choke groups

Edit: Okay, it is slightly more complex than that. Apparently you can't place drum racks within drum racks :/. You can use Sampler though, or a standard Rack with sliced pieces :) Just make sure to adjust the root note of each slot.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm

might be a while till (as 3rdordertrauma pointed out) Ableton is ready to resume adding features though...
That's from 2 years ago :|

What would be nice is if you could drag a sample from the Simpler or Sampler back into Session or Arrange...
ImageImage

massivewolf

Post by massivewolf » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:59 pm

I know this topic is about 6 years old, but I just wanted to add my quick way of doing this in case I can help someone else out:

In Drum Rack view, look at the sample's wavelength on the right (gray with a green background aka Simpler).

1) Right click on it and select "Show in Browser". The audio file of the track will now show up in Ableton's browser on the left hand side.
2) Simply select it and drag into an empty Audio Track and do your warping.

EDIT: Read the question completely wrong. Ignore my response :oops:
Last edited by massivewolf on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.