Same sample speed while changing keys (chromatic on the MPC)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
abletony84

Same sample speed while changing keys (chromatic on the MPC)

Post by abletony84 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:25 am

Hey,

this might be a real basic question but how do I retain the same speed for a sample as I change its keys/pitch?

Here's a little example: guitar_sample.mp3
Last edited by abletony84 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abletony84

Re: Simpler: Same speed while changing keys?

Post by abletony84 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 pm

I believe it's similar to 16 level tuning / the chromatic button on the MPC?

This thread at Logic Pro Help shows this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJiMii6QOeY

(watch 5:09)

Nick the Zombie

Re: Same sample speed while changing keys (chromatic on the MPC)

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 pm

You can't do this in Simpler/Sampler. I recommend just dropping your sample into a clip slot in the session view, warping it to play at the correct speed relative to your BPM, and map a range of keys to the clip. That way you can take advantage of the warping while playing the sample at multiple pitches.

Here's the process:

1. I haven't done this in a while so I'm pulling this out of memory, but I'm pretty sure you just turn on MIDI map mode, hold down the keyboard key you want to trigger the clip at root pitch, then hold down two other keys to define the top and bottom keys for the entire range that you'd like for the clip.

2. Change the launch mode of the clip to "Gate" so that the clip stops when you're not holding down a key.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

aftertouch

Post by aftertouch » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:00 am

im pretty sure the mpc does not retain the sample length when using the 16 levels. unless you use a patched phrase on the newer mpc's. all timestretching is done offline with the older boys.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 am

-Select a Clip in any slot.
-Activate MIDI mapping.
-Play the MIDI note on your keyboard you want to be the "root" (natural) pitch.
-While still holding down the root key, play the upper and lower keys of the note range you want. (Say, and octave up and an octave down) Note you now have 3 MIDI notes assigned to the Clip.
-Release all keys.
-Exit MIDI mapping.

The Clip will now play at the same tempo, with different pitches, using whichever Warp mode has been assigned to it.

<edit, reads whole thread> what Nick The Zombie said!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:You can't do this in Simpler/Sampler. I recommend just dropping your sample into a clip slot in the session view, warping it to play at the correct speed relative to your BPM, and map a range of keys to the clip. That way you can take advantage of the warping while playing the sample at multiple pitches.

Here's the process:

1. I haven't done this in a while so I'm pulling this out of memory, but I'm pretty sure you just turn on MIDI map mode, hold down the keyboard key you want to trigger the clip at root pitch, then hold down two other keys to define the top and bottom keys for the entire range that you'd like for the clip.

2. Change the launch mode of the clip to "Gate" so that the clip stops when you're not holding down a key.

I hope this helps,

- Nick
thanks a lot nick, interesting solution...