Possible to Save MIDI Mapping for foot controller?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
towers of silence

Possible to Save MIDI Mapping for foot controller?

Post by towers of silence » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:31 am

I've got a Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII which I've really been enjoying, especially in conjunction with Ableton's looper. I use the same buttons on the FBV for all my MIDI mapping and I'd love to be able to save something like a Looper presets so that whenever I want to use it with the FBV mapping I can just recall a looper preset, or even choose a control surface from ableton's MIDI preference menu that has the mapping done already. Is something like this possible?

I know I can just map the controls of the FBV to Looper and save it as a template, but I don't always use looper as the foundation for my tracks, sometimes I'll add it towards the end of the production, in which case a blank template obviously doesn't help and I have to remap the FBV controls each time. I generally don't change the FBV CC's, I always keep those the same since I really only use it for looper/guitar effects control, so it's more of an ableton question. I'd like to have an easier way to toss it into the middle of a set without constantly having to map the same controls to the same commands each time.

Is this an instance where the userconfiguration.txt would help? I'm thinking not, since I don't really want autofocus, but maybe it is, I don't really know enough about the txt file, and the instructions within it don't really answer my question since they seem dependent on the target parameters having a specific value, though I could be mistaken about this.

Any thoughts, advice? Or should I just give up and start every song from my FBV template just in case?

longjohns

Re: Possible to Save MIDI Mapping for foot controller?

Post by longjohns » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 am

probably not.. midi mappings are particular to a set (they are saved in an .als file, but cannot be imported by importing an .als into an existing set)

put a mapped looper in your template, and ignore it when not needed?

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 am

Yeah, kind of what I figured, especially since the looper controls aren't mapped to specific CC's as it is. I guess that's what I'm more curious about- is there a way to bid the controls of looper to certain CC #'s. If my FBV is always set to transmit certain CC's for each pedal press, than all I need to do it make sure looper is always set to receive those same CC's every time I recall a specific preset. Then I'll be all set.

I'm assuming this is not possible, but maybe using max for live...?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 am

I don't have my ableton live computer on right now, but are you able to map the controls you use to Macros in a rack??

If so, then learning the UserConfig would definitely be your friend.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 am

i was wondering about that, but had no idea how looper functions would go to macro dials

???

i'm embarrassed at how little i know about the looper :oops: :?