Recording vinyls

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
elemental

Recording vinyls

Post by elemental » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 pm

I know this has been covered before.. but the thread was pretty old.
I am now (finally) looking at recording vinyls for playing in live, all the tracks I can't find on proper digital release.

First of all, for the older ones, looking for good ways of cleaning the vinyls.

Then there is the signal chain.

I will use a Technics with a good, fairly new stanton DJ cartridge (cant remember which one) - should I get a better cartridge for this?
Going into a Stanton SK-1 mixer. Should buy or hire a better quality mixer?
Then probably will use my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 to record. I also have an RME Multiface but its in my tiny studio boxroom computer and I dont have room for a deck in there!

Cheers ppl, any advice much appreciated.

mortalicious

Re: Recording vinyls

Post by mortalicious » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm

buy gruv glide to clean the records.

sony soundforge is great for click and pop removal.

save the files as .wav, then get a program like platinum notes to batch convert to mp3 320kbs.

i use a hhb recorder, run directly out of my mixer (no sound card in the loop, the less in the loop the better).

when you save the files its a good idea to save them according to genre (house, vocal house, progressive house, vocal progressive house, etc..)

a program like MIK is good to figure out keys and it also lets you create a excel file that you can easily sort to figure out artist, tempo, and key.

make sure there are no ground hums. the most annoying thing is recording hours and hours of vinyl and then realizing that something is wrong with the recordings (hums can come from your mixer, your computer, anywhere)...

good luck

selthym

Post by selthym » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:17 am

x2 for soundforge. The 30 day demo is fully featured and lets you save, convert to MP3 etc. Plus for me it gives me a deadline so I don't get sidetracked.

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 pm

do not convert to mp3

just get a big HD and leave them as wav files.

much better sound quality
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:18 pm

yep I plan to keep them as wavs for sure. 2 x 500GB portable drives on the way ;)

so far.. I have ordered some stuff for cleaning records, inc new sleeves.
I will use the mixer out with high quality cable to my motu ultralite, and record as 24-bit wav, normalize and then convert to 16-bit.

I was more looking for advice on signal chain, needle/cartridge and mixer - will prob just use what I have for now though.

cheers ppl

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:29 pm

I have ove 1tb of recorded vinyl.

I love to "digital" digging
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

cypher

Post by cypher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 am

No need to normalize, as you will be recording them on the mixer at the same levels, like if you were mixing them ?
Mac Pro, 8 core, 3.2ghz, 3TB internal HDs, 16gb RAM, Rollin' with Vinyl, Traktor Scratch Pro and coded vinyls, a Xone 4D and of course Ableton Live 5.2.2, and all music etc backed up regular !!!!!!!!! word. Also a max'd up to the limit Macbook Pro