jumping back exactly one bar?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
inky_ryan

jumping back exactly one bar?

Post by inky_ryan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:43 am

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to jump back in playback by a fixed amount... 1 bar, a half note, a quater note, whatever. It would be nice if it could happen instantly, ie not globally quantized. It would also be cool if I could choose to do it to all loops and audio files playing, or to be able to select just one thing, like one sample, or one piece of audio. In the end I'd like to be able to map a computer key to the function. Any luck?

tlennon

Re: jumping back exactly one bar?

Post by tlennon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:35 am

You really need to RTM. In arrangement view the song will play from wherever you click under the upper timeline. If quantization is on and snap to grid is enabled it will play in perfect time to the tracks. You cannot do this in session view for all clips. Only a single clip at a time.
Terrence Lennon

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:01 am

This brings up something I've never thought about. Is it possible to scrub multiple highlighted clips in session view? I know you can change their pitch and stuff. I don't have Live open right now haha. I will try it one day!!

inky_ryan

Post by inky_ryan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:37 am

tlennon wrote:You really need to RTM. In arrangement view the song will play from wherever you click under the upper timeline. If quantization is on and snap to grid is enabled it will play in perfect time to the tracks. You cannot do this in session view for all clips. Only a single clip at a time.
Yes I know you can do that. That wasn't my question. I'm trying to set up a hotkey that i can press that will automatically jump backwards in playback by a specified amount.

dtlj

Post by dtlj » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:52 am

you can do this, you can!
but it is global and it does it for everything playing: no singling out(sucksiknow)

hopefully you are talking about session view, if so this is how you go about it

in arrangement view set your loop to 8 bars or whatever you like, then turn the loop on

>

this will make the arrangement position bar only cycle through how ever many bars you choose without interrupting the session view
now comes the good part

SET YOUR MAKERS!

this is something that i feel gets looked over too much
in arrangement view you can set markers to specific bars and jump to them via midi/keyboard that WILL effect the session view in a global way, and yes once again it is set to global quantize but you can set your global time for whatever and then highlight ever clip at once and change the quantize time

i was gonna put some pictures up but i decided a little video would be better

*notice the track status display in session view(the pie looking thing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgPFmuiVZQA

sorry for the poor video quality

inky_ryan

Post by inky_ryan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Ok. Firstly, thanks DTLJ for posting that video, you went above and beyond. Secondly though, that wasn't exactly what I was trying to do. This works well if I want to jump to an exact place, the same exact place, everytime. But what if I want to do it randomly, live, whenever I want? Is there anyway? I posted an example I made via editing, def not something I could do live, just as an example of what I'm looking for.

http://www.divshare.com/download/10512650-719

in the second loop through, you should hear the track jump backwards by exactly 1/4 bar several times. This is what I'm trying to creat a hotkey to do. You can think of it almost as a record skipping, but in a completely controllable way.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Pirkka

Post by Pirkka » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am

I just realized after 6 years of Ableton Live that I sorely need a PUSH BUTTON (like a keyboard key) that lets me instantly jump the playhead back by 1 bar (while it is playing).

I'm very much doing the mouse based workflow for automation, and this would be a TON of help when drawing the automations.

Using the loop feature for this is cumbersome and gets old real quick.

What I am currently doing, is pressing space bar and then pressing it again to play the same section over and over again... but this only works when I have a clip selected or some such thing. Today I've actually split my MIDI clips just to enable this weird activity I'm doing.

Going back to my initial point: the best solution I can think of would be to have a "jump" ability to skip forward and backward in time while the playhead is playing. It's kind of a basic feature when you think of it, but I'm not aware if this exists in Ableton.

PS. just found out that I could use cursor as a workaround (move the cursor near the playhead, double space), but that still ain't the workflow I'm looking for... =)

Pirkka

Post by Pirkka » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 am

btw, while looking for answers, I found this that isn't the exact thing but kinda close:
https://patches.zone/max-for-live/cartographer

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi, I use ClyphX Pro to do this. I have two buttons on my midi controller; one to go back a bar, one to go forward a bar. Works a treat.