All times are UTC

Post subject: Record just effect (e.g. reverb) to new audio track??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 am 

Does anyone know how to record just the reverb of something to a new audio track?....for example if i have reverb on a bass and want just the reverb on a different track

Steve Angelo does this in logic on his Future Music interview video and then uses the reverb recording throughout the whole track...pretty cool trick

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Record just effect (e.g. reverb) to new audio track??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:15 am 

Turn the reverb to 100% wet and resample. Or you could throw the reverb on a return track and do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm 

I know this post is old, but I found the reply to the answer not entirely helpful.

I wanted to do this last night and was having trouble.

I created a new track with the reverb I wanted to ( I was doing a reverse snare reverb up to a hit)

I sent my snare to my new track (audio track) and then hit record, but the sound I was recording was just the snare hit without the reverb on the track, it seems the record stage is before the FX stage on the track, which had me a bit confused. So to record the reverb tail, I just made a new track and set the input of the new track to the reverb track. Set record arm on the 3rd track, Track 1 your snare, track 2 your reverb and track 3 your recorded reverb. Play and you will now have that reverb recorded on the 3rd track.

There may be a setting I was missing in ableton that would allow the effect to get recorded on the same track without having to route it again, but it was just one extra step to get the reverb recorded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm 

Most Def. You can the effects in the same track as your snare, and record the effect in a new track. Just make sure you have selected post fx or post mixer in the in/out section .

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

Last edited by re:dream on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:07 pm 

Yeah, that sounds like it could work. Workflow wise, it might be easier to just have that reverb track on hand to use it with other stuff. I didnt want to screw with my snare track and used the reverb track for a tom underlay as well.

Regardless this is all good info as this is the page that turns up on a google search :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:14 pm 

myxomat0515 suggestion works fine. load a reverb on your snare channel, turn up the wet to 100%. now create a new audio track and set the input to "resampling". now arm this track and record.

resampling records exactly that what plays at the moment. you can use that for a lot of stuff! :)
that´s why you can send your snare to a send effekt, solo it and record it with the resamplping workflow again.

Music Theory Template

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm 

Yeah man, the Dry/Wet is nothing more that how much reverb you want on it, so you have only to record the 100% wet on another "resample" audio track, and mix it with the volume fader of that track instead of the reverb dry/wet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm 

Evengy, your explanation of re sampling makes a lot more sense, than the reply of myxomat0515. This is handy, however if you had data already on that snare track, you dont really want to record new information on that same track. Thanks for that though, handy tip and saves some time in certain situations.