how to toggle 4x4 sets of pads in drum racks via akai MPD 18

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kovac

how to toggle 4x4 sets of pads in drum racks via akai MPD 18

Post by kovac » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:40 am

Hi everybody!
I'm kinda new to the ableton so I have a question that needs answering.
I bought an Akai MPD18 in a hope that it will be a perfect controller for drum racks but there is a problem.
Current focused set of 4x4 pads in drum racks is indicated on the scroller to the right with a black square I can move that square up and down with my mouse and thus move focus of a 4x4 field up and down. New Live comes with a support for the MPD18 so I figured it will make use of all the buttons on the mpd18. When I press bank change button on th empd18 indicator led moves through the A, B and C banks changing note mapings of th epads itself, thus moving the mapings of tne pads up on th edrumracks scroller. The thing that bugs me big time is the view of current virtual pads does not change accordingly in drum racks, that means if I mov eto th ebang B on mpd18 i will not see those notes with sample/sound names in the drum racks. Is there a way to tell drum racks to change the view as I change the banks on mpd18?
I see that the bank change button on mpd18 does not send midi messages nor is the pad scroller in drum racks midi controlable. If the scroller would be midi contollable I would happily use the fader on mpd18 to scroll the sets of pads up and down.

I would be thankfull for any advice
ps i already read this topic, but it does not actualy answer any of my questions
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... w=previous

Dr. Zoiberg

Re: how to toggle 4x4 sets of pads in drum racks via akai MPD 18

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 pm

have you tried clicking that small "A" button in your drum rack?
It doesn't make exactly what you're asking for, but could be a workaround.

kovac

Re: how to toggle 4x4 sets of pads in drum racks via akai MPD 18

Post by kovac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks Dr. Zoiberg,
Nice feature, I can see how it would be helpfull if used with a keyboard controller. But I would appriciate if you could explain to me how would you use this feature as a workabout for my problem. Somehow I don't get it :oops: :idea: :?: