record quantize midi mapping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
made in live

record quantize midi mapping

Post by made in live » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Hello! My name is Walter and this will be my first post :)
Is it possible if so, how? To map record quantize in ableton?

best regards

Walter

yur2die4

Re: record quantize midi mapping

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 am

I feel your pain on this one. That happens to be one of my favorite buttons on the APC40 haha

made in live

Post by made in live » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I feel your pain on this one. That happens to be one of my favorite buttons on the APC40 haha
But i think APC40 is just a controller - so there must be a possibility to map this function to any controller, or am I wrong?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 pm

there is some kind of 'secret handshake'. there MIGHT be something assignable to change the setting, but in my 7 years i have not seen it. i think it basically is part of the coding they've implemented specifically for the apc40.

the best alternative i can think of is learning the keyboard command shortcut.. that pretty much involves, going to the top menu and then going to quantization and then making the appropriate selection.

made in live

Post by made in live » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm

yur2die4 wrote:there is some kind of 'secret handshake'. there MIGHT be something assignable to change the setting, but in my 7 years i have not seen it. i think it basically is part of the coding they've implemented specifically for the apc40.

the best alternative i can think of is learning the keyboard command shortcut.. that pretty much involves, going to the top menu and then going to quantization and then making the appropriate selection.
Thanks for the reply, is there a free app for mac doing learn?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 am

maybe the owners of the apc can use midiox et al to determine the messages for those buttons

does the apc operate with a controller script as per other devices?

made in live

Post by made in live » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 pm

No APC users here? :?

Ninja-Matic

Post by Ninja-Matic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 am

D#3

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 29, 2010 2:24 am

I can do this on my MPD32 :D

There are a lot of functions in Live that you just can't get MIDI to do. I trailed Live for a month and then carefully thought about what I wanted to do and how.

If you need flexibility in your MIDI gear for software I suggest getting Bome MIDI translator. The free version is ok but spring for the $100 and get the full version, it's awesome.

It allows you to select MIDI controllers that you would like to take full control of. You can map controls on one hardware controller to another, fire off keyboard shortcuts and macros, make mouse movements and more. I use one of the pad banks to fire off keyboard macros to access the record quantize settings. I also have controls over my other controllers to do a huge range of tasks (duplicate clip, undo, redo, copy, paste etc). It is awesome for staying "in the groove" and not going back to the keyboard / mouse all the time. I just suggest making a document of what controls on what channels are mapped to what (took me a full week to get my 7 MIDI controllers working together with the controls I needed).

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I also have controls over my other controllers to do a huge range of tasks (duplicate clip, undo, redo, copy, paste etc)
Whoa. I may need to get this.

How is it for stability? Any issues/hiccups with it?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:21 am

agent314 wrote:
I also have controls over my other controllers to do a huge range of tasks (duplicate clip, undo, redo, copy, paste etc)
Whoa. I may need to get this.

How is it for stability? Any issues/hiccups with it?
Sorry for the late reply here, i've been making music.

Bome is rock solid, Been using it for over a year now and the best money I spent. I use it to rout all my controllers to other controllers and setup shortcut keys to all the common functions in ableton. I have even setup a standalone USB numberpad with single button copy / paste / pencil / undo / redo / split track / consolidate / switch wondow / open browser etc... Having the ability to shape everything the way I personally want is the best way to work. Probably not good if you share the space with others unless you can educate others just how great your way is :)

Bit of a learning curve but well worth the dollars in my opinion

essegibi

Post by essegibi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

you can map record quantize and a lot of other "umappable" stuff with clyphx. search clyphx on youtube, its easy and free, but you´ll need to create clips and then map those clips. the cool thing is that actions will then be quantized to whatever value you desire.

momo182

Post by momo182 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 am

+1 essegibi

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm

touchAble for the iPad has the ability to change the recording quantize too. There is a way to do it but it seems its reserved for control surfaces.