repeater/echoplex like looping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
novakaine

echoplex?!?!?!

Post by novakaine » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:28 am

The previously mentioned method of having tracks postitioned one successive step down as one changes scenes is very handy for switching from track to track and controlling each clip. However, myself (and many others) are trying to emulate the relatively simple operation of (in my opinion) the most versatile/streamlined combo, the Gibson Echoplex. The repeater is right there, but as far as simplicity and functionality combined goes, the Echoplex does quite well. Anyway:

-I still need to perform a real "overdub" function, which the above method doesn't satisfy. In other words, record a loop, send it into looping, THEN, be able to record another layer (that might not be the same length) over the first loop, hit play, and have that loop lock up to the first loop. That means the overdubbed loop plays over the first loop at the same point you originally had overdubbed it. With the previously mentioned Live configuration, you create the first loop in the first scene. Then, you arrow down to the next scene to do an "overdub". You do a short phrase over the middle of the first loop. Hit play after the loop is done. The second loop will continue to loop over itself and not in sync with the first loop! I hope that makes sense. In other words:

Echoplex:

Record Record (begins looping)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

then the overdub,

```````````````Overdub
```````````````XXXXXX

the XXXXXX loop will always play at the same place in that overdubbed loop (one time in the middle of the longer "OOOOO" loop)

Live's setup:

Record Play (begins looping)

then switch scenes to new clip overdub,

``````````````Record/Play
``````````````XXXXXX

The XXXXXX loop will loop over itself instead of syncing with the first loop:

XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX

While recording the overdub loop, I suppose one could just wait until the first loop cycled all the way through to the beginning of where you started the second loop, but that's way too hokey and invites additional elements of unnecessary error.

As far as quantization goes, I had poor results using the "global/trigger/bar" setting. At least for me, when you try to record, say, I short two bar loop with those settings, my loop will add a bunch of dead space (silence) onto the end of my two bars. The only way I can get a real good loop is to set quantization to "none" and go from there! Maybe my settings aren't tweaked right yet, but go ahead, try to record a short phrase with those settings. I've tried to look around in the forums, and I notice people talking about the importance of the "1 bar" setting. I understand this would work like a charm if the tempo and bars were clearly staked at the beginning and end of the loop, but Live doesn't seem to doo that very well with my on the fly loops.

Wow that was windy! If anyone made it to the end of my garbage, thank you in advance! Some help would be very appeciated! I'm new, but still tried to find answers all over the forum and came up empty on these issues.

Jason

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:10 am

[quote="blue_aidoru"]Hello, I am new here! (the last thing you wanted to hear I'm sure).

First off, let me apologize for not understanding exactly how you do this. If at all possible, could someone provide more detailed instructions? For example: "setting up all tracks to receive from the monitor track", and also "remove all stop buttons..." I am sure these things are easy, but I simply cannot figure out how to do it yet.

Re "setting up all tracks ...."
You should be in Session View:
Look at the mixer panel for each track. Choose the Input for each track (click on the drop down)
Make the input the source monitor track For Example: MIDI 3
Do this for all the tracks you intend to loop live.

As for how to remove all stop buttons Try Right clicking or read the manual / Help

Regards,

I am interested in using Live for the sole purpose of playing over loops that I have created live.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:36 am

Liam wrote: As for how to remove all stop buttons Try Right clicking or read the manual / Help

Regards,
That would be ctrl+e on an empty clip slot.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:45 pm

heh - excuse my ignornace --

but what exaclty is this for and why would i need it?

12ax7heaven

Post by 12ax7heaven » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:28 pm

I guess it is pretty specific, but what it does is allows one to use Live as real time looper so that for instance you could record multiple passes in realtime without having audio stop on the material previously recorded and do so with your feet via a midi controller. A big mouth full for saying use Live as a looper with hands-free control.
Cheers
©

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:47 pm

7 days remaining until the release.

flavor32

okay

Post by flavor32 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:55 pm

okay, songcarver, your time is up! where's the magic math?!
McKay Garner
http://www.mckaygarner.com
Mixing, Production, Composition
Some solo works at: http://soundcloud.com/mckaygarner
San Francisco, Los Angeles, Anywhere

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:37 am

well, as is the nature of software, beta testing is taking longer than expected.

it's coming though soon!

(wow, I sound like an Ableton!)

The software is Audio Unit only. It's built for real-time sampling and easy looping.
If you would like to become a beta-tester, then please email me
infoatsongcarver.com

Liam

Electonnix Repeater coming back into production

Post by Liam » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:29 pm

As this is relevant to some people who are trying to loop sounds:
I read that the Electronnix Repeater is about to start production again.
This seemed to be a reasonably good device for looping.

As there is aome competition from the Boss RX looper etc the price may be even lower than it was.

It would still be great if Live could perform these functions though.

ton

Re: repeater/echoplex like looping

Post by ton » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:17 pm

Per Boysen wrote:This trick - using silent audo clips as "fx bank" for automizing plug-ins - can of course be used just about any plugin. But normally you can't to that in Live because you have audio files playing back from the clips and if you advance to another clip the first one will stop playing (we're still on the same track). Now we have the audio happening in the first plug-in of the channel strip and this opens up to use clips as containers for dynamic automating of as many plug-in parameters you'll ever need. Cool Nicht Wahr?!
Could you explain this a little more? Where do you use it? How do you use it? Who needs this feature with which improvements (Cpu saving, faster workflow, more possibilities or what?) and who doesn't need this feature? This seems to be an interesting tip, but I didn't understand it really how and where to use it.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:58 am

SongCarver wrote:well, as is the nature of software, beta testing is taking longer than expected.

it's coming though soon!

(wow, I sound like an Ableton!)

The software is Audio Unit only. It's built for real-time sampling and easy looping.
If you would like to become a beta-tester, then please email me
infoatsongcarver.com
Hmm, I wonder whatever happened with this..

SongCarver

Whatever happened

Post by SongCarver » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:07 am

It became musolomo.

:-)

http://plasq.com/musolomo

OvertoneZero

Re: echoplex?!?!?!

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon May 07, 2007 8:42 pm

novakaine wrote: -I still need to perform a real "overdub" function, which the above method doesn't satisfy. In other words, record a loop, send it into looping, THEN, be able to record another layer (that might not be the same length) over the first loop, hit play, and have that loop lock up to the first loop. That means the overdubbed loop plays over the first loop at the same point you originally had overdubbed it. With the previously mentioned Live configuration, you create the first loop in the first scene. Then, you arrow down to the next scene to do an "overdub". You do a short phrase over the middle of the first loop. Hit play after the loop is done. The second loop will continue to loop over itself and not in sync with the first loop! I hope that makes sense. In other words:

Echoplex:

Record Record (begins looping)

then the overdub,

```````````````Overdub
```````````````XXXXXX

the XXXXXX loop will always play at the same place in that overdubbed loop (one time in the middle of the longer "OOOOO" loop)

Live's setup:

Record Play (begins looping)

then switch scenes to new clip overdub,

``````````````Record/Play
``````````````XXXXXX

The XXXXXX loop will loop over itself instead of syncing with the first loop:

XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX/XXXXXX

While recording the overdub loop, I suppose one could just wait until the first loop cycled all the way through to the beginning of where you started the second loop, but that's way too hokey and invites additional elements of unnecessary error.

As far as quantization goes, I had poor results using the "global/trigger/bar" setting. At least for me, when you try to record, say, I short two bar loop with those settings, my loop will add a bunch of dead space (silence) onto the end of my two bars. The only way I can get a real good loop is to set quantization to "none" and go from there! Maybe my settings aren't tweaked right yet, but go ahead, try to record a short phrase with those settings. I've tried to look around in the forums, and I notice people talking about the importance of the "1 bar" setting. I understand this would work like a charm if the tempo and bars were clearly staked at the beginning and end of the loop, but Live doesn't seem to doo that very well with my on the fly loops.
Jason - This makes sense.. Check out Per's post regarding Augustus Loop. I found that using Augustus Loop is the best current solution for this type of looping in Ableton.

It would be great if Ableton had the ability to overdub audio to clips in a similar manner to the way that it overdubs MIDI to clips, but it may yet be a long time coming, if at all.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed May 09, 2007 12:08 am

mobius (may not have existed when thread was live)