how do you hook up latptop to PA?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sebastian

how do you hook up latptop to PA?

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:08 am

Hi

So far, I have just gone with some found cable going from heaphones jack laptop to PA 1/4 inch. Sounds ok but could sound much better (nicer). In this set up, no latency triggering MIDI off laptop.

I have sort of investigated this. When I go to the music store they suggest some kind of portable sound card but I dont trust them because they dont do those type of set ups. Then they start talking about low latency bla blah so I dont buy nothing.

So, is there a type of high quality cable out there for my primitive heaphones to PA?

Or what else do you recommend? (not looking to splurge at all this is for cover band)

thanks

Sebastian
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

yur2die4

Re: how do you hook up latptop to PA?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:22 am

I used to give the same latency schpiel until i found out about Asio4All haha. I'm amazed at how low you can get the latency on that. STILL, 1/8" jacks are tiny and are more susceptible to noise/hum/muffled tone. If your audio sounds like crap, it is either because of your content. Your soundcard. The PA setup. Or the fact that you are using the 1/8" jack.

I recommend a bus-powered external audio interface with multiple types of jack input/output (including instrument input). plus midi in/out. This way you are ready for anything.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 am

this thread discusses numerous possibilities including use of DI boxes, Ground Loop Isolators, Optical connection, etc....pretty interesting....

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=30115

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 am

I was going to also suggest possibly Optical, but it is very rare that you will find a place that has that connection. Plus, not all internal laptop cards have that.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 am

Funny you mentioned that. I was jut looking into that. My Mac Book shows these specs.

I just cant tell which "hole" in the Mac is the SPDIF

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x106B00A3
Audio ID: 56
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: Internal
Headphone:
Connection: Combo
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
Line In:
S/P-DIF Out:
S/P-DIF In:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 am

I don't have a mac, but on both my laptop and an external soundcard i own, the S/P-DIF is combined with the soundcard 1/8" jack. I would look at a manual perhaps. The jack is predominantly used for playing the audio from your dvds into DTS home theater recievers.

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 am

i have a MBP and if there is one thing i have learned, the 1/8 jack is fragile

to listen to sound clearly now, i have to put about a quarter inch of something underneath my cable to hold it up so i get a clean signal

an external sound card is going to give you quality audio output, with solid dependable connections

why you wouldnt trust the people at the store, walk in, say you have X dollars, the types of connections you have, tell them the number of inputs and outputs you want and then listen to their advice, ask them if there is a better option that they dont carry in the store, these people work there because they know what they are talking about and they use this gear in their real lives

i dont really know about everyone else but the people at the stores near me arent shy about suggesting things that they dont sell, the guys at my shop tell me the best deal i had, the best deal out there, and then the cheapest way to do it effectively

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:44 am

at least down here, the store people I have met have never used a laptop onstage
i can keep trying

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 am

generally external sound cards that are good in the studio will be good on the stage

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:11 am

just read your other thread

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=137829

if you plan on running a click track to your drummer you are definitely going to need a sound card with more outputs

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 am

It better not to run the 1/8 out on your Imac for performance.
couple of reasons:
1) The D/A converter for that 1/8" headphone output isn't that great.
2) It's easy to have damage occur w/ a long headphone jack hanging out of the side of your computer (I've see a few of these get bent just once and then have issues like losing the L or R output).

as for doin something more on the cheap, I recommend a Behringer U Control UCA202.
I use this for my Smaller live rig for a pop band.
It costs $30. It only has RCA Ins and outs, but if you get a stereo cable w/ RCA (m) to 1/4" (m) connectors you will be able to send a stereo signal into any PA system w/ 1/4" inputs. (most venues will have DI's for you if you need to go in w/ XLR's).

The added bonus....
you can bring audio into your unit as well.
I use this to input a MicroKorg that I perform w/ live through ableton (then I can use Ableton efx on it's signal).
But w/ a small mixer (using the RCA outs) you could bring in vox, Gtrs. etc... into Ableton Live for performance.