Audio Amplitude to controller ?? Is this possible in live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Bhang

Audio Amplitude to controller ?? Is this possible in live?

Post by Bhang » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Can you map the amplitude of an audio signal to controller messages? I want to control various plug in parameters based on the amplitude of an audio signal. I thought there was a way to do it with live, but I can't find any information on how to do this.
Any help is appreciated,

Bhang

3rdordertrauma

Re: Audio Amplitude to controller ?? Is this possible in live?

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:41 am

There are a few 'envelope follower' devices some people have made using max for live. Its the only way I know of at this point. Of course this would require you to own Max for Live which is $300 US.

Check out these devices if you do have Max for Live (I think there are even a few others out there).

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=58
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=65

Bhang

Post by Bhang » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks, 3rdordertrauma-

That does work - At least the one did. The modified version didn't work . I just need to add an adsr and more outputs and I'm good.

Thanks for the tip,

Bhang

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Hmmm really? I actually prefer the modified one, its works better for me because it has the smoother curve (attack, decay env). The original one seemed to be really jerky and difficult to adjust, probably because the range of values being sent to one control was so great it was difficult to make fine adjustments.

I'd be really keen to see a group of people to put some effort into making a full featured solid one of these. I've been trying myself and my max skills just aren't there yet.