stop recording with a footswitch

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wwzeitler666

stop recording with a footswitch

Post by wwzeitler666 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:45 pm

OH WISE ONES: I'm definitely a newbie, but I've searched the forums and read the manual and still can't figure out how to do this:

I want to stop recording a clip with a footswitch, because I play with both hands. When I'm done recording, I want the loop to keep playing. It's not necessary or even particularly desirable to be forced to the next track.

chapelier fou

Re: stop recording with a footswitch

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:08 pm

ctrl+m
then assign the global trck play in the bottom of the clips grid area.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

wwzeitler666

Post by wwzeitler666 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:14 pm

I should have mentioned that I have no trouble with connecting up an 'acme footswitch' <grin!> to a Live control.

As for the 'global track play in the bottom of the clips grid area'--for the life of me I can't find it. I've turned on all the views and maybe I need new glasses or something...

wwzeitler666

Post by wwzeitler666 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:29 pm

But I don't want to stop all clips. Only the one I'm recording.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 pm

assign your pedal to the clip slot that you use for recording.

Or even better, as the other guy above said, to the global play button of that channel. This global play button only appears when you are in the midi-assign-mode (ctrl-m), right above from where it says "Audio from".

So you pedal will affect whichever clip slot is selected in that channel. Hence you can record various clips!!

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm

with an APC-40 this is simple. footswitch #2 launches currently selected clip by default. so you hit the switch to start recording, hit it when you're done, then it keeps playing in time(depending on your quantize setting). not sure how to map "launch currently selected clip" without an APC. anyone?
the way i did it before my APC was to map the footswitch to "Launch selected scene", turn on "start recording on scene launch" in preferences. then when you hit the switch it launches the highlighted scene, recording on any and all armed tracks in that scene. when you hit the switch again, it launches the next scene(and starts recording there) maybe you could disable "select next scene on launch" to keep the first one playing?
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

wwzeitler666

Post by wwzeitler666 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:05 pm

I have an APC40!

I have selected a clip, and tried each footswitch in turn--nothing happens with the clip. (Momentary-on switches). I do see flashing on the MIDI activity light, however, so apparently something is happening.

(NOTE: I've been working with MIDI etc. for decades--starting with Cakewalk version TWO on DOS (which didn't support audio at all)! So I think I have a reasonable grasp of the underlying technology, but every program of course has its idiosyncrasies.)

wwzeitler666

Post by wwzeitler666 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Ha, got it working. I reassigned the APC40 footswitch to scene launch and it's working. Maybe the default got fritzed. But it's working now.

THANX!!

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:41 pm

seems strange. my guess is maybe you have some other manual mapping that is interfering with the APC default. the only times i've had trouble with the APC it was that. the advantage to using footswitch 2 to launch current selected clip is that when you press the second time it stays on that clip, not launching the next scene. default for footswitch 1 is "launch selected scene". maybe try an experiment set where you delete any manual mappings, then see what the footswitches do to your armed track/clip?

whatever works 4 you!
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:14 pm

For Windows there is a free keyboard layout configuration program, "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=22339

The default when you bring it up will disable all keys except the space bar (as I remember), but if disabled you can always enable it). In any case, you can save and load various layouts; for me, bringing the program up disables every thing except the spacebar; exiting the program brings the normal keyboard back. I haven't tested if it lets you choose between two concurrent keyboards yet...

You can then use the keyboard with all keys disabled (except the spacebar) as a footswitch - gluing a riser to the top of the spacebar will make it even better (and there are other ways I can think of as well)..

This means you don't have to remove the other keys from the keyboard, since only the space bar will be active.

FWIW, YMMV, etc

miituu

Post by miituu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:30 pm

chapelier fou wrote:ctrl+m
This was correct answer for me, thanks!

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

miituu wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:ctrl+m
This was correct answer for me, thanks!
The problem is that you can't use play off/on with the same switch, so it doesn't imitate the space bar.... (If I read you right)

That said, what do you mean by the

"global trck play in the bottom of the clips grid area"

I don't see any such control, but maybe I'm blind...