Mapping: different commands for different devices selected

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Romusc

Mapping: different commands for different devices selected

Post by Romusc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Hello, I havent't found an answer to my question before.
So here it is, I'm sure it's pretty simple but I couldn't find it on the forums and even on other forums people couldn't answer me...

I would like to use some knobs on my controller for different purposes, depending on which device is selected in Live.

More specifically: I have a Faderfox LV2 and you can easily change tracks with a single button. I want that, whenever I simply select another track, my knobs would automatically be affected to the Macro effect rack of the selected track!

I hope my question is clear enough. I know it's possible somehow since in the default mapping of the Faderfox there are some commands that depend on the selected device.

Thanks in advance!

spacecat

Re: Mapping: different commands for different devices selected

Post by spacecat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

hi=)

not sure, but i think you might be looking for the *midi* button on the top right corner of live (next to cpu load display) ?

have fun=)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 pm

I'd consider looking into "User Remote Scripts". Any Rack or effect that is selected (will show blue hand on the bar) becomes controllable. A nice change of pace instead of dedicated controls :)

handojin

Post by handojin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 am

u want to mess with the user scripts,, with that you can assign 8 knobs to control the selected device, great with intrument racks and such but works with all ableton plugs, (vst's or audio units need to be mapped to instrument racks for control)
assign 8 buttons to rec enable the channel and the knobs will automatically select the first device on that channel without having to click it with mouse, very handy