Computer Music Foamo Masterclass

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tnismo88

Computer Music Foamo Masterclass

Post by tnismo88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Has anyone had a chance to check out this video?

I dl it last night and thought it was super insightful to see how foamo uses tons of modulation to make his basslines breathe.

He states that he uses a limiter on the master channel, drums buss, and bass bus and mixes while arranging his track. Does that mean he just mixes up to the limiter? Do you guys happen to know what limiter he is using?

I heard bad things about this technique but it seems to work great for him! Any insight on to what channels are usually limited?

MauricioAndrades

Re: Computer Music Foamo Masterclass

Post by MauricioAndrades » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:14 am

right the conventional method says don't have anything on your master channel before you send out for mastering. but really if you do it right you don't even have to get a track mastered. you sweeten your master before you even start working on a track and then tweak it to fit.

Limiting/compression is very important while mixing techno. It's essentially peak limiting... catching the big peaks so you can control each channel and have louder mixes.

Try this... Render any of your tracks as individual tracks and look at the waveforms...

Now you'll see tons of peaks... you limit to catch those

I'm assuming he is limiting the master, the drums, etc etc... mostly anything really if it's got a really wide dynamic range.

Just keep in mind if you flatten too much it'll sound lifeless... so make sure you leave some room to breathe...