Crazy Live Setup from Deadmau5

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rsaulo

Crazy Live Setup from Deadmau5

Post by rsaulo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:44 am

Crazy setup from Deadmau5,

http://www.musictechtutorials.com/deadm ... up-part-1/

Need to sell my house to have an setup like this...... 8O 8O 8O

Ricky and Eric

Re: Crazy Live Setup from Deadmau5

Post by Ricky and Eric » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 am

thats funny i just got done listening to his @ play album

spaceman

Post by spaceman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:14 am

he seems to be talking crap most of the time though

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 am

One of the things that I do not agree is when he say that

"You cannot play Live with the same quality if you playback your productions".

I thing the most "Production" effects can be performed live...

My point is more about the $$$$ on the setup, the Live set seems not so complicated to me, it's simply Djing IMHO, the "Live" channel he says, I have doubts if he uses "Live" so much....

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Bright Morningstar

Post by Bright Morningstar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

rsaulo wrote:One of the things that I do not agree is when he say that

"You cannot play Live with the same quality if you playback your productions".

I thing the most "Production" effects can be performed live...

My point is more about the $$$$ on the setup, the Live set seems not so complicated to me, it's simply Djing IMHO, the "Live" channel he says, I have doubts if he uses "Live" so much....

:evil: :evil: :evil:
the sound quality deteriorates if your performing an mp3-style track live that you may have made in ableton. if you were just playing the wav or the aiff then it might not deteriorate as much, but those files can be massive. you obviously have to compensate by adding more compressors and whatnot to re-beef up your tracks (atleast I do).

deadmau5's skill with routing things into different places allows his technical sound to be so advanced which I think is his strength.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 am

I doubt he's talking about using mp3's. Using them in any manner would be a waste of time & resources if you can afford the HD space. I think what he means is that in the studio, you have countless hours to fine tune and tweak things. Plus you are not so worried about latency. Where as live, you are leaving the option to improvise (even a filter sweep can offer new challenges to your overall sound quality). So given that you are working on the spur of the moment, you just want to have the basics at your disposal, and have them very malleable.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 am

Bright Morningstar wrote: the sound quality deteriorates if your performing an mp3-style track live that you may have made in ableton. if you were just playing the wav or the aiff then it might not deteriorate as much, but those files can be massive. you obviously have to compensate by adding more compressors and whatnot to re-beef up your tracks (atleast I do).

deadmau5's skill with routing things into different places allows his technical sound to be so advanced which I think is his strength.
I dont't think he's talking about MP3, in Live all is converted to WAV no?

I agree with yur2die4, maybe some "tricks" like sidechain compressors, filtes, etc that he can use in the studio he cannot manage Live at the same time when performing, but I think this is much relative to how you make your setup.

If you see an rock band for example, never will sound live as how sounds in the studio, of course, but it's not a excuse to not play live in a show, this is my point. (of course, i don't know if the comparison is fair... :roll: :roll: )

rosti

Post by rosti » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:23 am

rsaulo wrote:If you see an rock band for example, never will sound live as how sounds in the studio, of course, but it's not a excuse to not play live in a show, this is my point. (of course, i don't know if the comparison is fair... :roll: :roll: )
That's right. When playing live you don't have to sound like a record. IMHO.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:19 pm

rosti wrote: That's right. When playing live you don't have to sound like a record. IMHO.
That's my point.

If someone need to sound like in the studio, can hit play on iTunes and let it go.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

99% of the people in a club don't care and don't know about this "quality" issues btw...., they want good music to dance and in many cases they come to see YOU, and to see you DOING something....IMHO

patrickkidd

Post by patrickkidd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 am

I don't think he was talking about the quality of the audio. Instead I think he was talking about how you can spend hours mixing and mastering your track to perfection while the live sound is less refined. That's why he started talking about how he is using a compressor, etc..

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 am

i dont see what is so crazy about his set up, seems pretty straight forward

actually i was kind of underwhelmed at his use of the lemur and monome