piano sounds one dimensional why?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
oliverfreed

piano sounds one dimensional why?

Post by oliverfreed » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:22 am

does anyone have any idea whats the steps i should take in blushing out the grand piano sound to make a full real sounding piano and not this computer one dimensional piano you start off with.

i mean what filters should i look at using, and how many on top of one another.

Schnauzer

Re: piano sounds one dimensional why?

Post by Schnauzer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:21 am

Make sure your piano parts velocity has enough dynamics.
when I play this piano on a synth style keyboard every note's velocity is between 110-127
That way the piano only use one sample set, and sounds very flat.
Like every virtual instrument: if you know how to play a real one, you can get it to sound like a real one.
(use of pedal etc).
Next step it to put it in a room (get a room-reverb and put that about 5 % wet.)

A piano played with a pedal down sounds way way different. Ableton's library doesn't have a pedal down set. (pedal down just make your notes sound longer, a larger/better libray switches the soundset to pedal-down that way.

It is useable, but it'll never be this lush broad piano like you get in e.g. ivory, or native's piano-library
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
www.schnauzerstudios.com

yleh8k

Post by yleh8k » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:11 am

Some things I like to do with piano to get it sounding really "grand":
Reverb high
long Release time
a short, not-very-wet Simple Delay effect
filter the higher frequencies to be a bit quieter (or lower the 'Colour' value)
If you're playing single notes, add a Chord midi effect with an octave up and an octave or two down (If you're already playing chords, this won't be necessary)
and don't ask me how, but a Compressor always works magic with the right settings...
last but not least, make sure at least the main notes extend for some time.

Using all the above, it'll sound HUGE.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

I usually just throw on a Reverb of choice. Adjust wet/dry to taste (less is more) and then throw a Saturator over it, bump the saturator's amount up to like 4. It really heats things up. Giving it that hypothetical 'warmth'. Making it loud and in your face, kind of classic-recording sounding. and it sort of avoids clipping since it is going through a waveshaper. If you do get some grainy sounds from hammering on the keys too much, turn the volume down on your piano instrument so that it isn't pushing as much through the Saturator.

Just be careful about overdoing it though. You're kind of cooking the waveforms haha.

flippo

Post by flippo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 am

sustain pedal is a must for piano, if you're not already doing so.