Reverb Quality

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
D.R.F.

Reverb Quality

Post by D.R.F. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:16 am

Hey!

Same elements (conga and tom):

On Live (8.1.1) - The reverb (Reverb plugin) has distortions and coloration. (I used different presets, with similar result quality wise)

On Logic 9 - The reverb (Space Design plugin) has a beautiful and natural sound. Spacious and organic. (I used different presets, with similar result quality wise)

Is Ableton Live's reverb weak or am I using it in a wrong way (though, a preset should be made to show the potential quality of a plugin...)?

Any suggestion on a good plugin (space design like) that I could use on Live?

Thanks

btw I dislike Logic's workflow so I don't see myself using it to replace Live as my daw any time soon.
Ableton Live 8 Suite

Superchibisan

Re: Reverb Quality

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 am

do you have it set to eco, mid, or high quality?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 am

For whatever reason I always thought Live's reverb sounded better on Eco mode...

Hard to comapre Live's reverb with Space Designer though, one is artifically generated and the other releases on impulse responses. Would love to see Live finally get an impulse response reverb though...
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 am

Tarekith wrote:For whatever reason I always thought Live's reverb sounded better on Eco mode...
I've definitely found this for certain applications

D.R.F.

Post by D.R.F. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 pm

EIther with Eco, Mid or Hi the result isn't of good quality (unless if want an efx that actually sounds like a distorted reverb)

Any advices on a good quality reverb plugin? As good as Logic's?
Ableton Live 8 Suite

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Altiverb.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

D.R.F.

Post by D.R.F. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Nice quality on Altiverb but really expensive.

Any opinions on RPverb by Rob Papen?
Ableton Live 8 Suite

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24 am

epicverb by bootsie... THE SHIT

rbrown46

Post by rbrown46 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 pm

D.R.F. wrote:EIther with Eco, Mid or Hi the result isn't of good quality (unless if want an efx that actually sounds like a distorted reverb)

Any advices on a good quality reverb plugin? As good as Logic's?
Check out the new Lexicon PCM Native Reverb plugins. Expensive, but for me it's the go to algorithmic reverb I've been waiting years for. They also just released a cheaper pack with less algorithms.

depaffect

Post by depaffect » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:05 am

as much as i love ableton live, the reverb is shocking! really cheap, nasty, yucky.

i don't have logic but i have protools 8 - comparing the ableton reverb to protools' air reverb is quite shocking.

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 am

Ableton's Reverb sounds fine.

it is certainly not the best reverb for every application of sound design. but it does not deserve all hate-talk and shatting-upon that a lot of users give it.

i love the fact that it's not a true stereo reverb.
,love the tin can sounds it makes.
tons of settings to tweak on Reverb, you just gotta know how to tweak it..

i'm not a huge reverb fan to begin with, i don't own any reverb plugins besides Ableton's, but when i do actually use Reverb I usually turn off Spin and Chorus, i always tweak the Diffusion Network, setting the Low and High Q's rather low(maybe as low as 0.25) and i roll back the High's freq. to where it's comfortable
also, how you process the incoming and outgoing signals with EQ is really important. the Reverb has a built in low and hi cut input filters, so be sure to use those or not. and i always throw an EQ 8 after the Reverb. i probably roll off hi and lo again with EQ8's High cut and Low cut filters.

the rest of Reverb's tweakable settings are totally dependent on the sound you want, and have the potential to drastically change your reverb's sound. you're on your own there. sometimes you want a lot of Diffusion but a lot less Reflections, or vice versa..

just my 2 cents

D.R.F.

Post by D.R.F. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am

Live's Reverb doesn't have a natural sound to it.

Sometimes the artificiality and coloration might be nice as an effect on itself but if you just want a clear and organic reverb, Live's Reverb is probably the weakest I've heard.
Ableton Live 8 Suite

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

remember that Live is a performance tool. Someone somewhere wrote that one should think about the native reverb as a creative effect. I stick to this, because organic reverb is something that is naturally created in the venue that you play or the studio that you record in.

Still I must agree that Live could use a nice native reverb plugin, but I don't think the existing one needs an update... It should be just a new one, most preferably a convolution based thingy...

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

It shouldn't be scrapped completely... It does have its uses and it definitely does have a purpose sometimes.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

if you need an impulse reverb, liquidsonics reverberate works really well, and is only ~$50. there's even a free LE version.