How To Warp A Whole Track - The Movie...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bruce

How To Warp A Whole Track - The Movie...

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:50 pm

** 12/03/05 - I have updated this post to include a link to download the whole movie and also a link to a bpm analysier that i use to determine the bpm of the track before i recorded the movie....***

To all Live users, new and old.

If you do a search on the Forum you will come up with numerous bits of advice on how to warp a whole track, the most useful being Chris Cowie's post (you can tell by the number of hits alone)

When i was new to Live i was really enthusiastic about using it to dj with, but i just couldnt figure out how to warp a full track, well, not without having to set lots of markers and take at least 10-15mins warping each track.

When i read thru Chris's post and tried it out i was amazed at how straight forward it really can be, and how painless and quick you can do it. It now takes me approx 2mins or less from loading the track in, to saving it.

I noticed that there was so much discussion on that thread, mostly newbies misunderstanding certain bits of the instructions, that i thought a visual demonstration of how simple it is was required.

So, If you are having problems warping full tracks, if you are new to Live and are curious on how to do it, or if you have been using Live for a while but are having to use more than 1 yellow marker, please have a look at the video and hopefully this should point you in the right direction. Please don't take what's in the movie as gospel, but merely a rough guide to an easier warping life....

How to Warp A Whole Track - The Movie...

Please excuse the quality of the graphics and audio, i have set it to the lowest quality to keep the file size down...

As always, all comments are welcome. :D

Cheers
Bruce

ps - You can download this movie from the following link...

Download the full "How to Warp Marker a Track...The Movie"

Once you have downloaded the zip file and uncompressed it, All you need to do is double click on the How_To_Warp_a_Track.html file and it will run as it does via the usual link, but locally on ur pc/mac.

ALSO...

Some of you were wondering how i knew the track was exactly 127.10 bpm.....i use this handy little app, and it's free too!!

http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

it scans a folder on ur hard drive (i have a "to be warped" folder) and i drop all of my track's in their to get scanned with Mixmeister and then warped in ableton, it's as easy as that!

Any probs please give me a shout

Bruce
Last edited by bruce on Fri May 27, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:22 am

it's brilliant! many thanks for the time you spent on this, it should be included on Ableton demos in the main website!

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:51 am

GREAT VIDEO BRUCE.

THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY.

:D :D

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:47 pm

Yeah...well done Bruce....and Chris Cowie of course for the initial method and inspiration. It has amazed me that the work that you have done out of the goodness of your heart wasn't commissioned a long time ago by the good ol' Abletons. I mean an understanding of warping is fundamental to creative use of their software and, judging by the number of posts there have been about this, people new to Live have always found the concept and execution difficult to grasp. Your video should definitely be at the top of their tutorial downloads.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:53 am

Mammalux wrote: It has amazed me that the work that you have done out of the goodness of your heart wasn't commissioned a long time ago by the good ol' Abletons. I mean an understanding of warping is fundamental to creative use of their software.
well said. Im suprised though at the lack of comments on bruces video. A lot of threads that have nothing to do with live get a lot of attention. Maybe everyone knows how to warp now?

Your right M warping is fundamental to live

Deft

Post by Deft » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:27 pm

Great little tutorial.
This is pretty much how I was approaching it - though all my tracks are ripped from vinyl and I think that is causing problems.
I am going to try and use just tracks from cds that I have to see whether it is the wow and flutter on the decks causing the issues.
I have quite a high standard for normal 'dj' mixing and I can't seem to get the same accuracy with Live at the moment.
I reckon it's actually probably easier to use short looped sections and edits for transitions than trying to recreate a normal dj approach.
Though I've only been using it a few weeks, so my opinion could change.

Robert

fantastic!

Post by Robert » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:50 pm

this is just so helpful - can't thank you enough.

getting the initial bpm accurate does seem to make quite a big difference in the time it takes to warp a track, imho - I use my redsound cycloops to take the bpm reading to the nearest 0.1 and this makes things a lot easier.

best wishes

Robert

djdrue

outstanding...

Post by djdrue » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:31 pm

Outstanding....

really jaw dropping. If I had this when I was remixing some difficult tracks in acid, I would have just used this. Amazing! well done...

someone please notify the moderators, this needs to go in the tutorials section of live's site.

Deft

Post by Deft » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:02 am

This is not directed at the tutorial - but it seems this method really won't work with vinyl ripped to .wav. The wow+flutter of my Technics deck (obviously recorded when quartz locked) is too much to use this 1 marker method for.
I've resorted to putting markers every 8 bars for any parts you intend to do long mixing for and every 16 bars for the bulk of the track.
Still, this method works perfectly for all the original cd audio I have!
Thanks

theofficials

Post by theofficials » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:55 pm

nice one Bruce.

you've just opened the flood gates of creativity evenmore for many users now.

Which app did you use to create the vid ?
TheOfficials / ACAPELLAS4U
P4 2.8Mhz + /1Gb of Crucial DDR Ram 1 x 200gb SATA+ 1x80gb IDE

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly, Thanks for all the kind words about by post, much appreciated.

I'm gonna start a new thread to try and get some ideas for my next tutorial video, hopefuly this should help people get a visual idea of what so many kind people have been trying to explain on the Tips n Tricks forum, so if you've got any ideas then feel free to PM me or keep your eyes peeled for the new thread.

theofficials - i used the viewletcam software to record it, you can download a 60 day trial copy (pc only) from here- if you need any help, just give me a PM and i'll do my best.

Cheers
Bruce

theofficials

Post by theofficials » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:52 pm

just activated your reg on me forum Bruce.

Looking forward to some of your new movies.
TheOfficials / ACAPELLAS4U
P4 2.8Mhz + /1Gb of Crucial DDR Ram 1 x 200gb SATA+ 1x80gb IDE

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:20 pm

Nice One!! :lol:

Cheers mate

Bruce

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:41 pm

This thread (and others like it) should really be made sticky in this board.

robert_philp

Post by robert_philp » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:12 pm

Very useful video, thanks a lot :)