How To Warp A Whole Track - The Movie...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:47 pm

i use Firefox (also tried IE), screen was maximized. what resolution is 1024x860? never heard of it. i haven't checked on my laptop, which is 1280x1024.

i still got the idea behind it - this was a damn nice thing for bruce to do :D
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

ConneKted

Post by ConneKted » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:53 pm

still it's all tricky, how the hell did he know the exact BPM of the song ....

127.10 bpm

will it stil work when you don't know the exact bpm ?
SERIALL CONNEKTED

Sintec

Post by Sintec » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:12 pm

The closer to the original BPM you set it the less you will need the warp markers. So if your less accurate I guess it'll just take a little more tweaking.

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:49 pm

is there any tap-tempo app or plugin that could help in this regard?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

bruce

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Some of you were wondering how i knew the track was exactly 127.10 bpm.....i use this handy little app, and it's free too!!

http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

it scans a folder on ur hard drive (i have a "to be warped" folder) and i drop all of my track's in their to get scanned with Mixmeister and then warped in ableton, it's as easy as that! :D

scot7y1

Post by scot7y1 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:23 pm

Thats a good app but its only for PC. I just put mine through Traktor DJ Studio to get the bpm. If anyone knows any other little app for mac that can do this please share :D

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:14 pm

very nice link - thanks!
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

ConneKted

Post by ConneKted » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:08 am

bruce wrote:Some of you were wondering how i knew the track was exactly 127.10 bpm.....i use this handy little app, and it's free too!!

http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

it scans a folder on ur hard drive (i have a "to be warped" folder) and i drop all of my track's in their to get scanned with Mixmeister and then warped in ableton, it's as easy as that! :D
i love you man !!!!! thanks !!
SERIALL CONNEKTED

loops

Post by loops » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:22 pm

scot7y1 wrote:Thats a good app but its only for PC. I just put mine through Traktor DJ Studio to get the bpm. If anyone knows any other little app for mac that can do this please share :D
i do the job with a little help from traktor too and i find it quite accurate in getting the exact bpm,i tried this also with an external mixer bpm counter and i had a lot of bpm-oscillations,so i went back to the traktor counter
LETZ DANCE

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:24 am

Peak finds the exact tempo quickly and easily.

Ask The DJ will provide the tempo for you, too, but rounds it off to the nearest bpm. It automatically beat-matches without warping, too. Pretty basic but pretty cool.

"The Wild Bits just released a new version of Ask The DJ, a $29 shareware which analyses beats to perform truly seamless transitions between tracks.

This new version improves the tracks browser by adding iTunes-like appearance. Columns can now be moved and the layout is saved accross sessions.

Like a real DJ, AskTheDJ matches beats and adapts tempos whenever needed so the music always flows, even when cross-fading between tracks with different bpms. Ask The DJ also cuts unrhythmical intros and outros, and levels volume. Better yet, all this is done automatically. You just need to click Play and dance. You can also export Ask The DJ's mix art to audio files, suitable for burning audio CDs. Ask The DJ requires MacOS X and plays files in MP3, AAC or AIFF format."

tanith

Post by tanith » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:35 pm

well, it's not a batch converter, but i'm not trusting any BpMs i haven't hammered myself, so there's a nice little utillity for mac iTunes called iTunes-BpM, which writes the info into the tag, after you knocked the beat in, you can find it here:
http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-BPM/

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 pm

can the movie be downloaded?

bruce

Post by bruce » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:32 am

Starving Student - firstly, sorry for the lack of reply to ur pm - but hopefully this'll make up 4 it!

You can download this movie from the following link...

Download the full "How to Warp Marker a Track...The Movie"

Once you have downloaded the zip file and uncompressed it, All you need to do is double click on the How_To_Warp_a_Track.html file and it will run as it does via the usual link, but locally on ur pc/mac.

Any probs please give me a shout

Bruce

Simon Anderson

Mixmeister bpm counter

Post by Simon Anderson » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:45 pm

I have the file bpmanalyz.exe on my Mac desktop, but whenn I click it the onlyy reaction I get is from Virex. Any ideas what comes next?
Total novice in the field of musical software. My ambition is to become sufficiently competent to play Live as a DJ within 12 month. Realistic?