HELP with prelistening in LIVE 8

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jangbang

HELP with prelistening in LIVE 8

Post by jangbang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:53 pm

I've read the thread showing how to use prelistening in Live 4, but cannot find the relevant preferences tab that corresponds in Live 8. Can anyone help me out with a how-to link or explanation? I don't have two soundcards but am running Live through a USB mixer with one RCA out and one 1/4" out. Do i need to get an external soundcard/audiointerface to enable prelistening?
Imac 27" // Macbook // Launchpad // Nanokontrol // Nanopad // Axiom 49 // Live 8 // Logic Pro 8 // Numark M1usb //

soundcloud.com/jjang

Tone Deft

Re: HELP with prelistening in LIVE 8

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:27 pm

that stuff goes out the Cue output. below the Cue knob you can select where Cue outputs. open that box, there's an option to configure your input and output ports.

you don't need two soundcards. you can do this with any track and return as well.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jangbang

Post by jangbang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Sorry but i'm really new at all this. When i try to configure my cue out it just opens up the audio tab of my preferences. Under Cue out i have the option of 1, 2, or 1/2. 1 is my left monitor, 2 is my right, and 1/2 is both. Master out is set to 1/2. Changing cue out to any of these makes no difference. I feel like i'm missing some hardware or am just too stupid to configure this properly.
Imac 27" // Macbook // Launchpad // Nanokontrol // Nanopad // Axiom 49 // Live 8 // Logic Pro 8 // Numark M1usb //

soundcloud.com/jjang

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 pm

in the audio tab, enable more outputs on your sound card and select those for Cue.

we're all new to this at some point, you're asking clearer questions than most people starting out. :D
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jangbang

Post by jangbang » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Still can't seem to get it right :( I feel like i'm missing something important and i'm thinking it may have something to do with the crappy mixer i'm using. i've been messing around with it for about an hour now and still no luck. Also, the box above the headphone volume knob in ableton does not allow me to switch to even prelisten to anything (it is on solo and the box is grayed out).

So far, under Audio Output Device I have 3 choices (didn't include no device):
1. USB Audio CODEC (0 In, 2 Out) - selecting this one enables me to control volume via my computers volume controls as well as my mixer's master volume and channel gain
2. Built in output (0 In, 2 Out)
3. USB Audio CODEC (0 In, 2 Out) - selecting this one routes all volume control entirely to my mixer (I almost exploded my studio monitors upon doing so)

I was only recently able to get the second audio codec to appear by plugging in the mixer's second usb output. I usually only plugged one in but figured maybe the problem lie with needing both plugged in but still no luck.

Under Output Config I have the choice of:
1. 1 (mono) & 2 (mono)
2. 1/2 (stereo)
I can't seem to have only one highlighted. Not quite sure what selecting or deselecting either one would entail anyways.

I think i'm just getting more and more lost.. :oops:

soundcloud.com/jjang

JimboTheJetset

Post by JimboTheJetset » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Jangbang,

I think I had the same problem. You need a sound card with 4 outputs. 1 and 2 relate to left and right of 1 stereo output so you need 4 to achieve 2 stereo outputs (house & monitor). There are loads of good USB soundcards you can pick up for a reasonable price.

Hope that helps

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Or if you don't care about stereo then just set master to 1 and cue to 2. Then just put a y-splitter on 1 and send it to your amp. This will send a mono signal to both of your speakers.

Or don't use the y-splitter and send the master to one speaker and the cue to another.