Dragging in an audio sample from browser question

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
scottwallis

Dragging in an audio sample from browser question

Post by scottwallis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Why when i drag an audio sample into ableton (on either an audio track, or into simpler) does it sound different to when i preview it from within abletons own browser, sounds a bit dull and not so sharp, always wondered this? Absolutely nothing on the audio channel and its a fresh new project template...

I would prefer for it to sound exactly the same as when i preview it...

scottwallis

Re: Dragging in an audio sample from browser question

Post by scottwallis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 pm

sorry i should elaborate perhaps, im talking like a kick drum, clap or simple one hit....

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 pm

In Simpler, I'm assuming that you are playing the sample in the appropriate pitch. I personally can't think of any reason why the sample would sound any different in that instrument.

If you are dragging into Arrangement View and your attack seems snubbed, you might have an option turned on that automatically fades clips. I forget where you find that option to change it, but having it turned on really annoys me personally. I too prefer having my sounds, exactly the way they were previewed. The way to undo the fade, is showing the track fades, and manually adjusting each one : (

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:19 pm

yur2die4 wrote:In Simpler, I'm assuming that you are playing the sample in the appropriate pitch. I personally can't think of any reason why the sample would sound any different in that instrument.

If you are dragging into Arrangement View and your attack seems snubbed, you might have an option turned on that automatically fades clips. I forget where you find that option to change it, but having it turned on really annoys me personally. I too prefer having my sounds, exactly the way they were previewed. The way to undo the fade, is showing the track fades, and manually adjusting each one : (
Hey, thanks for replying to me...

Im dragging into arrang view in v8 there is no fade option like there was in v7 (or if there is its moved from its previous location of just double clicking on the sample).. for example with an audio sample kick... just dragging into an audio track, sounds duller (not sharp) than when previewing from abletons own browser, this is with absolutely no plug in or anything, simply opening ableton and dragging into an audio track...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 pm

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... s-206268/2

Tip # 10

hope this solves things for you :)

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:21 pm

yur2die4 wrote:http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... s-206268/2

Tip # 10

hope this solves things for you :)
Thanks mate, ill check this out :)

emef

Post by emef » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:00 pm

set the samples playback mode to repitch
other sample playback modes change the sound in an unpleasant way (to my ears)
you can use warp markers to set the pitch of the drum sound