How to record pads

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peter_heard01

How to record pads

Post by peter_heard01 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Guys,

Looking for some general advice really. Ive started using pads in my productions, the problem is that the clip containing the midi can be anything up to 16 bars long before each not starts....which basically means that if I want to listen to a part that is 15 bars in and I loop from that point I dont hear the pad as the midi note isnt triggering ableton because ableton never sees the start of the note.

Is there a quick and easy way to bounce to audio without having to set up extra tracks etc? Thought the freeze track option would bounce to audio...

Any advice would be appreciated can imagine it will be very painstaking to bounce every pad and white noise long notes to audio...

Pete
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

Contra

Re: How to record pads

Post by Contra » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 am

freeze track. then flatten. but if the midi note is starting before the actual start point or 1.1 of the clip itll be soundless. sometimes u gotta zoom in to see that as it may be a "smidget" out of the midi clip box. i hope i helped a bit. POW!

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

CONTRA YOU LIFESAVER!

I was sure I'd seen flatten before in Live and couldn't remember where, been looking for it for about a week now. My CPU can't cope with the drum tracks I'm using currently, this is essential!

Cheers
Joe

NPC

Post by NPC » Thu May 06, 2010 4:01 pm

instead of flattening, when a track is frozen you can copy a frozen midi clip and paste it directly to an audio track...
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Thu May 06, 2010 6:19 pm

NPC wrote:instead of flattening, when a track is frozen you can copy a frozen midi clip and paste it directly to an audio track...
That is another amazing tip, even better. Thanks very much!

J

peter_heard01

Post by peter_heard01 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:20 am

you are all legends! Im so glad I asked I was about to start the arduos task of recording each individual one..

one question I had an 8 bar loop with the pad i froze then dragged the midi clip to an audio track but it was 16 bars long, any ideas why this may be?

thanks anyway...:@)
Pte

NPC

Post by NPC » Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 am

when you freeze a track, ableton does the same thing as when you export an audio file "as a loop": that is, it plays the loop once and then a second time, looping only the second part. this way (and this is most useful for pads) on the first note of the second loop you can hear the tail of the last note of the first part, otherwise the looping would be much more obvious..to save space on disk you can further edit the loop and have the start point at 1 1 1 , the left loop brace at 2 1 1 , the right loop brace at 10 1 1 . This way you just keep the start of the second loop, and by cropping the sample you save some 40% of the file size. Not explained very clearly maybe... :P
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...

peter_heard01

Post by peter_heard01 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

yeah okay that makes sense thanks for the reply I will look further into this...
Pte