notes to match chords..

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
scrattyrat

notes to match chords..

Post by scrattyrat » Mon May 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi,

might be a stupid question as im new to music theory.. ive recently started playing about with chords using the piano roll by playing 3 notes at a time to get a chord, and got some good sounding stuff. Now im playing about with some other noises (bass noises) which dont sound so good with 3 notes played simultaneously to make a chord. What im trying to fins out is what single notes complement different chords, if there is some sort of complemetary set of notes which match different chords if that makes sense? Chords im playing about with most recently are Em, C, D and i want to play my bass noises with single notes to fit?

Thanks

soultwist

Re: notes to match chords..

Post by soultwist » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Start learning chords, progressions, scales, modes, etc. Just music theory in general. There is no set formula but some theory will help. For now, something like this can help:

http://www.scales-chords.com/index.html

scrattyrat

Post by scrattyrat » Mon May 17, 2010 3:51 pm

awesome thankyou, just what i was looking for! am trying to slowly learn music theory but its quite a vast area and so much information is presented very badly making difficult to ingest, especially when trying to get to grips with a software DAW at the same time.

thankyou for your help :-)

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 am

as soultwist said there are no hard rules, but an easy place to start is to just use notes already in the chords you've used. Pretty hard to go wrong there.