My Nanokontrol just got HUGE

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
fakemoney

My Nanokontrol just got HUGE

Post by fakemoney » Fri May 21, 2010 4:31 pm

See?

I wasn't sure this hack was going to work, but it did, and it was cheap.

joe.cavers

Re: My Nanokontrol just got HUGE

Post by joe.cavers » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

AHHH! What on earth has gone on here?

Seriously tho, can you give us some details? This looks awesome.

J

fakemoney

Post by fakemoney » Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, I'm writing a blog post about it with pictures and stuff, in part for my dumb self to remember what the hell I did. It's basically 2 PCBs, one from the nanokontrol and the other from a qwerty keyboard. I saw someone did a foot controller thing here with the pc keyboard chip so I stole that idea and ran with it. the only problem I'm having is with the mini-usb hub that's connecting the two boards inside the box; somehow it works great when I plug them both into my laptop separately, or even into the same ol' usb hub I've been using for all my other shit, but when I connect them inside the box with this little ten-buck Lacie 4-port hub i bought for the project, I get this terrible lag time on the buttons, messages get lost, etc. I just bought a different hub so we'll see if that fixes it. Anyone have any experience with USB drama like that? I've never seen it before.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

^ USB 1.0 vs 2.0 maybe??? big speed change there.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:27 pm

i was thinking of doing something like this but just with a QWERTY to make a button matrix. are there any resources online that you used to hack the QWERTY? i know a momentary button is just a momentary button, but i'm sure there's more to it than that. also, if I did something like I'm describing, I would want the caps lock key on so I could just use the A-Z buttons (capitalized) and not have my regular laptop keyboard interfere- any way you know of to do this? is the caps lock button just a latching button? any help you could throw my way would be hella cool- i'm no rupert neve, but i've built/modded a few things before.

thanks!
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Agent G

Post by Agent G » Sat May 22, 2010 12:07 am

Oh that is good stuff....

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 am

Amazing. I can't wait to read the blog posts. Put the link up here when you are finished please! :D

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat May 22, 2010 2:21 pm

i wanna read that blogpost too.
hit me up with pm with the link, or reply to it here, pretty please? :)

fakemoney

Post by fakemoney » Mon May 24, 2010 3:16 pm

It's looking like next week for the blog; I'll put the link up here when it's done. And if anyone here is in NYC, I'm doing a set at Don Pedro's on Friday night where this thing will probably catch fire and ruin lives. Come get loaded!

bujol

Post by bujol » Mon May 24, 2010 7:57 pm

My god!!! Ur a freak!! :D
http://bujorock.com
MacBook Pro, Fireface 400, Monome 64, Korg R3, KaossPad, Nanokontrol, Launchpad, LPK25, Oxygen49, BCR2000, Novation Remote Zero
Live and Logic

MacTwist

Post by MacTwist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi There,
One word Huge!!!!
What are the values of the pots you have used for your project ?

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:49 am

memes_33 wrote:i was thinking of doing something like this but just with a QWERTY to make a button matrix. are there any resources online that you used to hack the QWERTY? i know a momentary button is just a momentary button, but i'm sure there's more to it than that. also, if I did something like I'm describing, I would want the caps lock key on so I could just use the A-Z buttons (capitalized) and not have my regular laptop keyboard interfere- any way you know of to do this? is the caps lock button just a latching button? any help you could throw my way would be hella cool- i'm no rupert neve, but i've built/modded a few things before.

thanks!
maybe you should think of a numerical keyboard. those keys are not used on the laptop keyboard, but they are recognized, so you could use them independently. or just use it like it is... it´s already a matrix!

but it doesn´t look as cool as fakemoneys box :wink:

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am

I had an idea that a POS (point of sale) USB keyboard would be good to hack into a button matrix:

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keybo ... /index.htm

pretty minimal too...

selthym

Post by selthym » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:46 am

Saxer wrote:
memes_33 wrote:i was thinking of doing something like this but just with a QWERTY to make a button matrix. are there any resources online that you used to hack the QWERTY? i know a momentary button is just a momentary button, but i'm sure there's more to it than that. also, if I did something like I'm describing, I would want the caps lock key on so I could just use the A-Z buttons (capitalized) and not have my regular laptop keyboard interfere- any way you know of to do this? is the caps lock button just a latching button? any help you could throw my way would be hella cool- i'm no rupert neve, but i've built/modded a few things before.

thanks!
maybe you should think of a numerical keyboard. those keys are not used on the laptop keyboard, but they are recognized, so you could use them independently. or just use it like it is... it´s already a matrix!

but it doesn´t look as cool as fakemoneys box :wink:
Do some searching for home made arcade games. Many of them use a numeric keyboard for the buttons