Follow Arrangement arrow

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vsukpadman

Follow Arrangement arrow

Post by vsukpadman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 am

Hi all
is there any way to permanently follow the arrangement ?
every time I do an edit, the follow arrow key at the top drops to off, and I keep having to switch it on...very annoying.
So to sum up, how do I make the arrangement page permanently stay in sync with what I am hearing when zoomed in..scrolling or paging to keep the current song position visible

hope that makes sense !

thanks

BP

mode:masters

Re: Follow Arrangement arrow

Post by mode:masters » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:29 am

The follow button will turn off when you do edits, that's normal.

Try using Ctrl-F (PC) or CMD-F (MAC) shortcut instead.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:45 am

That is one of the shortcomings of Live as a pro DAW IMO.
Terrence Lennon

vsukpadman

Post by vsukpadman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:52 am

hmm

thats very odd ..seems such a basic requirement!
Whoever decided to make it drop out when anything was focused on must have been not thinking at all !
Latch follow to be added to desired feature list then - how crazy its not already there!

many thanks

BP

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:03 pm

ShelLuser wrote:.... Yeah, that is indeed normal.
Or...abnormal. No other DAW I've worked with does this. They usually have a latch option. Even back in the day.
Terrence Lennon

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:52 pm

^Perhaps, but an option to latch or not would be preferrable.
Terrence Lennon

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:10 am

vsukpadman wrote:hmm

thats very odd ..seems such a basic requirement!
Whoever decided to make it drop out when anything was focused on must have been not thinking at all !
Latch follow to be added to desired feature list then - how crazy its not already there!

many thanks

BP
Hi BP, Its been interesting to watch your growth curve into Live, coming as you do from PT world.
Many of us, even some of Live's most devoted users, feel the same way about Live's Arrange Page feature set.
I still rely on Logic if I have to multi-track a band or do heavy-duty audio editing and arranging.
SubFunk wrote:the lack of screen shots and zooming (via shortcuts) is absolute major, the amount of shifting the window priorities in live is driving me nuts, and it gets terribly cluttered and is visually a nightmare when you have many tracks and automations open (the total oposite of the neat session view) no folder tracks, no ghosts or aliases, no choice of propper time lines (a la logic) no possibility to have one 'switch' floating window of any plugin (a la logic) no tool box, weak automation editing, no autozoom high lighted track, general lack of shortcuts important for arranger tasks, the list goes on and on...
+1 Absolutely agree.

Although I love Live to the point of evangelism, I find the Arrange view sorely underpowered. Yes I come from 15 years on Logic and have gotten very used to it's feature set, but simple things like no key command to toggle all automation views on/off drives me nuts. I don't want to see red lines over my page all the time, and having to select all tracks and then go thru the rigmarole of getting the "none" option to come up (sometimes a two step process in itself) is arrrrgh!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:27 am

I don't want to see red lines over my page all the time, and having to select all tracks and then go thru the rigmarole of getting the "none" option to come up (sometimes a two step process in itself) is arrrrgh!
yes this is a PITA
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 am

nylarch wrote:yes this is a PITA

vsukpadman

Post by vsukpadman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:14 am

Pitchblack.
yes its been an interesting lerning curve from Protools to here I must say.
My current thoughts are, great for workflow making tracks , but not so great on the arrangement page for mixing those tracks.
I actually mixed my last track back in protools after exporting from Live (is there any way to export ONLY the tracks you want to , or does it have to be ALL or only One? )
Getting used to it though, but minor showstoppers so far as mentioned are
the follow arrangement issue,
the fact that my clips in midi edit window have completely different bar numbers to the arrangement !

Im also having trouble with the basic copy command ..seems to have a mind of its own. I select a region I want to copy and put somewhere else...hold down CTRL , move the region .sometimes it copys sometimes it moves it ! also tried moving then clicking control till the plus symbol appears on the dragged region, let go...same problem..sometimes copies, sometimes moves !

ah well..at least Im learning a new DAW , and thats a good thing after 12 years of Protools!

BP

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:51 am

Reading this I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the implementation of Follow a bit unintuitive... I keep having to turn it back on again, 95% of the time I'd never have any reason to NOT have it turned on.