Is there a way to disable a track totally from playing?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peter_heard01

Is there a way to disable a track totally from playing?

Post by peter_heard01 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Guys,

When I ht spacebar in arrangement all of my tracks play I want to disable some of the ones that I used to get effects but I dont want to have to delete them, is there a way to disable a track? (this would also help me save cpu by not playing it while im listening to the other ones)..

Okay any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

gibson_ewok

Re: Is there a way to disable a track totally from playing?

Post by gibson_ewok » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 am

Yeah you could press the yellow button with the number OR you could get the clips you don't want to play and right click them and choose "Deactivate Clip(s)" That way you can mute multiple things on multiple channels without completely disabling whole tracks. Then when you want them back simply right click again and choose "Activate Clip(s)" This can be easily done to many clips by holding 'ctrl' or 'cmd' (if your on mac) and selecting all the stuff you want to mute or un-mute in a single right click.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill.
www.mrbillstunes.com

peter_heard01

Post by peter_heard01 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 am

ShelLuser wrote:When looking at the other 2 questions I strongly suggest you pick up on the Live manual (help menu -> "read live manual") and starting reading a bit. Or maybe even start with using "help -> help view" and follow the lessons in there.

This is all very basic...

In your case just click on the track activator switch?

Its the yellow block with the number in it. When in doubt press '?' or click on the arrow in the lower left corner of the screen before hoovering over an option with your mouse. This also works for the preference screen btw.

I appreciate your concerns about the manual I can assure you I read the manual lots that I know most of ableton inside out however I uset this forum to 'hammer home' any slight areas of knowledge that i cant find in my manual. I have tried your suggesstion before posting but the track (whilst silenced) still plays away. You can see the grey signal pumping in the indicateor but its gray instead of green? Which means that the track is still chugging away on the cpu but is silenced. I want to kill the track not silence it. I want to preserve my cpu from playing tracks that im not using at that current time?

Hope that makes sense If I am missing something here I apologise but muting or turning hitting the yellow track activator does not kill the midi data in it from triggering vts as my curretn set up stands...
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

Hi,

The majority of the CPU effort will go to the actual devices/VSTs themselves rather than routing the audio path. So if you disable the devices/VSTs themselves (e.g. map the device activator buttons to a rack knob) then you'll see your CPU meter drop drastically. Combine this with the track activator and you can both silence the track and also save CPU.

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 am

If you automate "Device On" in the arrangement for a particular device, you can shut it down during specific parts of the timeline.
-Luddy

EnTranced

Post by EnTranced » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:39 am

Yes If you go onto the track where all the effects are accessible on that track. Notice the synth or main plug in playing. There is a yelllow dot on the top left of the syth/plugin just turn it off and there you go

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:38 pm

peter_heard01 wrote:muting or turning hitting the yellow track activator does not kill the midi data in it from triggering vts as my curretn set up stands...
Select all clips on the track and select "deactivate" from the context menu or just hit "0". Plug-ins won't use any or only very little CPU. You can also deactivate the plug-ins as suggested if that isn't enough. Nothing is deleted.
Make some music!

andystuart23

Post by andystuart23 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm
When looking at the other 2 questions I strongly suggest you pick up on the Live manual (help menu -> "read live manual") and starting reading a bit. Or maybe even start with using "help -> help view" and follow the lessons in there.

Its the yellow block with the number in it. When in doubt press '?' or click on the arrow in the lower left corner of the screen before hoovering over an option with your mouse. This also works for the preference screen btw.
ABSOLUTELY USELESS HELP!

You should be banned from this forum! This is NOT helpful, simply because this question is legitimate!

You may not be using Ableton correctly! And in my opinion if using large stems, and multiples, such as using for an Audiobook...then CPU can be a big issue...Especially when trying to get levels correct, especially when adding sound clips etc!

The ONLY way that I have found reducing CPU - and I am using latest greatest MAC, and we are working in a studio, where we are doing Audiobooks...Is to switch off VSTs etc on each track in arrangement view, otherwise they do eat into the CPU!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26 pm

andystuart23 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am
ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm
When looking at the other 2 questions I strongly suggest you pick up on the Live manual (help menu -> "read live manual") and starting reading a bit. Or maybe even start with using "help -> help view" and follow the lessons in there.

ABSOLUTELY USELESS HELP!

You should be banned from this forum! This is NOT helpful, simply because this question is legitimate!

You may not be using Ableton correctly! And in my opinion if using large stems, and multiples, such as using for an Audiobook...then CPU can be a big issue...Especially when trying to get levels correct, especially when adding sound clips etc!

The ONLY way that I have found reducing CPU - and I am using latest greatest MAC, and we are working in a studio, where we are doing Audiobooks...Is to switch off VSTs etc on each track in arrangement view, otherwise they do eat into the CPU!
Take it easy please, and since you're new have a look at the Community Guidelines. Thanks.
Ableton Forum Moderator

DarkoDamjanovic

Post by DarkoDamjanovic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Right click on track header -> Select Track Content -> Press the zero key -> All clips are deactivated at once, CPU is not burdened anymore