Changing vst presets...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Guff Tong

Changing vst presets...

Post by Guff Tong » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Ok, so you can chain several vsts in a rack to change presets.

This means that if you rack up say 8 albinos and map the filters to a controler, each instance will need the filters mapped individulay.

Obviously, it would be more desireable to have one set of controls for what is in effect the same synth.

Q: In the past i have dropped the odd GM midi file into live and been annoyed that a certain preset seems to be hard written into the midi data. You can change the preset on the synth manualy but each time it plays it reverts to the preset in that midi clip.

This mean then that you can change presets with midi clips using GM data.

Question is how to harness this power?

Ie: what GM / midi control changes the presets?

I had an idea it may be 'data increment' but I aint got a scooby and there are loads (127)of choices.

:?:

crumhorn

Re: Changing vst presets...

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Midi has a thing called Program Change messages that you can record into a track. I would hope that Live records them if you send them from your controller, not 100% sure though.

You can also set a program change for a clip in the clip (launch?) settings.

GM introduced another message called a bank select to overcome the limitation of 128 program numbers. Your particular VST may or may not support bank select, but it is also available in the clip settings.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Got it, its bank select in th Notes section of a midi clip. just need to work out which bank/program is which and preset change can be hard stamped into the clip...

Nice. No need to chain what-so-ever. (Unless choosing different vsts of course)

Eg: Albino allowed free selection of banks/preset via Bank & Sub-Bank - Sylenth with its single list accepted preset changes via Program.

life is complete :mrgreen:

(can't think why I hadnt noticed this before :?: )

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:23 am

Up-date:

I have been making dummy clips that can be launched to change presets on the fly.

These clips adjust the 'Bank', 'Sub-Bank' and 'Program' changes in the Notes section of a midi clip.

Starting with 1-1-1, then 1-1-2, 1-1-3 and son on.

These generic clips can be used to change the preset of most vsts (so far only minimonsta has failed, must be the way its presets are chosen?)

Anyway, its not realy 'changing presets by midi' par-se though is a great work-a-round for me.

Now I just have the misson of creating a set of clips that consequtivley list each 'Bank, Sub and Program' - may take a while...

Its a bit lumpy but realy nice to be able to map the filters etc. to only one vst and be able to use all of its presets (Am currently hitting my launchpad to change presets)

I suppose if you have a favourite synth you could eventualy name each clip with the specific vst presets you use the most.

Dustman Jazz

Post by Dustman Jazz » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:48 am

Hello,

i can't really understand why at this point Ableton can^t accord with the plugins developpers to have a compatible program change system.
I think this is the only major shortcoming of this program. It was always possible in the past, with most of keyboards, to use the program change function ...

Ableton is so efficient, powerful and forward that it's hard for me to understand why didn't you already solve this problem?

With all respect for Ableton creators, i'm a customer and a user to of Life9 ...

Best regards!

Thomas Gerosa

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi Gerosa,

Thanks for the reply top my post.

Especially seeing as I posted it 10 years ago!

:)