Help!! with Remote SL 25 Mk 1 PLEASE!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
EliotShort

Help!! with Remote SL 25 Mk 1 PLEASE!

Post by EliotShort » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Hiya

I got a Novation Remote SL 25 a while back and still haven't mastered the bugger, but have found it very straight forward so far for what I've been using it for. However there are 2 things I wish to do now which I can't work out from the manuals.

1. I want to use the keyboard to play melodies, but some of the notes have the same midi value as the pads, which I use for selecting functions. How can I seperate the midi info for the keys and the pad? Can I route the keys to a different midi channel for instance?

2. There are buttons which reset the midi values of controlled by the pots. How can I reverse and change the parameters for these reset values on the SL itself? I usually use Ableton's midi mapping to do this, but there is no option with the signals sent by the pots and buttons from the SL (ie the top left hand row of controllers.)

Would appreciate input on this as I have a gig tomorrow I'd like try these new settings on.

Novation SL25
15" Macbook pro
Motu Ultralite
Berenger FCB1010
http://www.eliotlloydshort.com
http://fleetingwoods.com

Nektar Impact LX25
15" MacBook Pro (2016)
Motu Audio Express
Berenger FCB1010

twisted-space

Re: Help!! with Remote SL 25 Mk 1 PLEASE!

Post by twisted-space » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am

You can set the pads to send cc's instead of notes, might be a better option if you're using them as controls.

As far as reversing the knob action, I guess you mean when using template 40 (live template). AFAIK you would have to reverse the min/max values on the remote sl itself.

EliotShort

Post by EliotShort » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 pm

twisted-space wrote:You can set the pads to send cc's instead of notes, might be a better option if you're using them as controls.

As far as reversing the knob action, I guess you mean when using template 40 (live template). AFAIK you would have to reverse the min/max values on the remote sl itself.
Yup yup, we're definitely on the same bandwidth. In both of those cases, that is exactly what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to go about either of those things. I now have a week before trying out the new approach with the SL25, but not much time to explore the depths of Novations tutorials, so any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks for the pointers though, I will follow them up...
http://www.eliotlloydshort.com
http://fleetingwoods.com

Nektar Impact LX25
15" MacBook Pro (2016)
Motu Audio Express
Berenger FCB1010

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:53 pm

EliotShort wrote:not much time to explore the depths of Novations tutorials, so any pointers would be welcome.

I don't have my SL25 with me, so this is off the top of my head and might be worng/have steps missing.

Select template 40
Hit a pad or tweak a knob
Press edit
Change it from drumnote to CC, change its number/commport/channel to whatever you want, or change the min/max values for knobs.
repeat for the other pads/knobs.

Alternatively you could download the remoteSL editor from Novation, dump template 40 into it, HINT make a backup HINT. edit it to suite and dump it back into your RemoteSL.
You can get the editor and manual @ Novation's website, don't bother with the tutorials, read the (funking) manual, it's all in there.

Good Luck, hope the gig goes well.

Superman

Post by Superman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 pm

I think you have to press and hold Edit then press the pad, then along the left display you'll see info about that pad which you can change by rotating the knob directly underneath that setting. You can test the pad whist still in edit mode (as long as you're not holding edit) and you'll have to do that to each of the pads. If you're happy with it press the write button a few times then press Play.

This is just from my memory of my zero SL so apologies if some of the details are a bit inaccurate!