All times are UTC

Post subject: Virus TI users - force Live to use realtime rendering
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:32 pm 

Can't believe I've not seen anyone mention this trick. Please let me know, anyone, if this will have a negative effect on sound quality!

So you have a nice big arrangement with several Virus TI parts, and you have come to render your arrangement. Normally this would involve first bouncing down the Virus parts then doing an offline render, or setting up a resampling record track and bouncing the entire arrangement, then fishing around in your project folder for the file.

It's possible to force Live to render the entire set in *real time* by doing the following:

1. Create a new empty MIDI track
2. Add an External Instrument device
3. Route the MIDI to a real hardware MIDI out that isn't in use (there's usually one around somewhere!)
4. Route the Audio back from a real hardware audio input (can be in use for something else - it really doesn't matter, as long as it's a real input, not rewire or a multi-timbral plug in)
5. Turn the gain on the external instrument down to -Inf.

Now when you render, Live will detect the presence of a "hardware" device and assume it has to render in real time, meaning that all your Virus parts will also be rendered in realtime.

Leave this track in your template set and all your tracks will be rendered in real time unless you remove it.

Post subject: Re: Virus TI users - force Live to use realtime rendering
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:16 pm 

nice one. So you are using VC with Live? What do you do about automation for different parts in a multi, i.e., do you put it all on a single track, or use CC instead of automation parameters?

I use my Virus in standalone with Live, but I'm interested in hearing a success story about using VC...

-Luddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:25 pm 

I just have all my automation on the main Virus track. It's not as annoying as it sounds.

If you really don't want recording to interfere with the MIDI contents of the track, you can just put the MIDI on a different track and route it into the main Virus track.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:56 pm 

Sly One wrote:
I just have all my automation on the main Virus track. It's not as annoying as it sounds.

If you really don't want recording to interfere with the MIDI contents of the track, you can just put the MIDI on a different track and route it into the main Virus track.

But, you have to put separate MIDI channels (notes) into separate MIDI tracks and route them into the main track anyway, right? Even if it didn't bother you to lose channels 1-6 when you record channel 7 haha.

-Luddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:02 pm 

Not at all:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146879

Separate MIDI and audio tracks for each part, but the automation is all on one track. Really makes very little difference. The only thing you can't use is clip envelopes - for that you need to use MIDI CCs - yeah.