What sort of sick bass is this?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
marra

Re: What sort of sick bass is this?

Post by marra » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:48 pm

friend_kami wrote:the sidechaining yes. it sounds horrible. creative use or not, sidechaining ruined music.
Who are you to talk like that?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:56 pm

marra wrote:
friend_kami wrote:the sidechaining yes. it sounds horrible. creative use or not, sidechaining ruined music.
Who are you to talk like that?
obviously someone with better taste and appreciation of the fine arts of music, then you.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Some would say recording, or electricity ruined music :P

Wow, now we all should feel like idiots!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 pm

i have nothing against electronic music at all. i do have a problem with this sudden urge of having no dynamics left in music whatsoever.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 am

friend_kami wrote:i have nothing against electronic music at all. i do have a problem with this sudden urge of having no dynamics left in music whatsoever.
I feel like compression is a more appropriate culprit for this rather then sidechaining.. - loudness war type of thing.

By sidechaining you mean the untz untz untz untz ducking type of thing? I get where your coming from, but look at what Big Gigantic or Alex B does with sidechain compression, on beats that aren't just 4/4 kicks - if anything that adds more dynamic to the sound especially when it's some kind of groove on the kick that is ducking down the pad sounds or what have you..

or maybe we're talking about different things..

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:32 am

Either way, this is not really a place to decide how other artists should paint :P

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:37 pm

ah yes, most people tends to use sidechaining really horribly though, this song is a great example of that.

i guess we should move the discussion out to the music forum then, but eh, whatever ;)
sorry for hijacking.

marra

Post by marra » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:05 pm

friend_kami wrote:ah yes, most people tends to use sidechaining really horribly though, this song is a great example of that.

i guess we should move the discussion out to the music forum then, but eh, whatever ;)
sorry for hijacking.
You say that, but the stuff in your signature sounds like some bullshit (and it's not even your own), so who are you to diss one of LA's finest beatmakers.

What's up with this jealousy????

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

marra wrote:You say that, but the stuff in your signature sounds like some bullshit (and it's not even your own), so who are you to diss one of LA's finest beatmakers.

+1

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 am

marra wrote:
friend_kami wrote:ah yes, most people tends to use sidechaining really horribly though, this song is a great example of that.

sorry for hijacking.
You say that, but the stuff in your signature sounds like some bullshit (and it's not even your own), so who are you to diss one of LA's finest beatmakers.

its my label, and some of it my own indeed.
it might sound like bullshit, but the production isnt bullshit. i might not do music you like, but thats besides the point. im discussing produciton here, and how modern electronica destroyed it. overcompressed everything and sidechaining everything, squashing every single dynamic left in the peice into a big fat brickwall of shit.

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:25 pm

sidechaining is a mans BFF. lol

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

friend_kami wrote:
marra wrote:

sorry for hijacking.

its my label, and some of it my own indeed.
it might sound like bullshit, but the production isnt bullshit. i might not do music you like, but thats besides the point. im discussing produciton here, and how modern electronica destroyed it. overcompressed everything and sidechaining everything, squashing every single dynamic left in the peice into a big fat brickwall of shit.
In Prog magazine the band 19 A.D.D. offered a free album download. The music is fantastic but the dynamic range for most of the heavy parts is about -8 db RMS. On top of the fact the download is 128K MP3, this is a pity, and as bad as the commercial release of Death Magnetic.

The sad thing is that the band's stuff would be much more interesting musically with just a little better dynamics. Would it have killed them not to turn the L2 up to 10?

Their stuff is interesting and creative enough that I'm going to buy their CD anyway. Maybe it will sound better. But the CD (and vinyl) of Death Magnetic both sounded shite; until I finally was able to get the guitar hero remix.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.