overdubbing envelopes in arrangement view

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
stethoscanomaly

overdubbing envelopes in arrangement view

Post by stethoscanomaly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:13 pm

is there a way to overdub envelopes in arrangement view? what i mean is, for example, could you record an envelope for, say, an operator in track 1, by arming the track, arming the global record, hitting play and then knob twidling, and then go back and automate a different parameter on the same track via the same process without overwriting the first envelope? this really should be a feature... there must be a way. am i being stupid?

Sepp Ultura

Re: overdubbing envelopes in arrangement view

Post by Sepp Ultura » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:26 pm

stethoscanomaly wrote:is there a way to overdub envelopes in arrangement view? what i mean is, for example, could you record an envelope for, say, an operator in track 1, by arming the track, arming the global record, hitting play and then knob twidling, and then go back and automate a different parameter on the same track via the same process without overwriting the first envelope? this really should be a feature... there must be a way. am i being stupid?
Well, I don't know if you're stupid (LOL, just kidding, man!), but there is a way. Just DO NOT arm any tracks and hit the global record button. Then you can overdub any parameters you want. Rather neat and simple, took me a while to find out.. :D

digitallush

Re: overdubbing envelopes in arrangement view

Post by digitallush » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey man, this is something that I too was trying to wrap my head around.. I think the confusion comes from the record button being greyed out after you've done your initial recording...

Something that may help.. in your arrangement view, next to the name of the track is a little arrow, drop it down so you can see the wave form. After you record once, stop the recording. Start again and adjust a different knob... you'll notice it displays you changing the envelope in real time.

Careful, if you have a section set to loop, you will overdub the recording if you're still adjusting that same parameter on the 2nd go.

Hope this helps.