how to: rapid cutup / crossfader / timestretch effect

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
marra

how to: rapid cutup / crossfader / timestretch effect

Post by marra » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 am

hello everybody.. is there an easy way to get this rapid cutup /crossfader / timestretch effect in Live?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/789576723e8981d9/

been playing around in sound forge a lot and i notice if i use the time stretch function i get similar results (esp. to the first audio example) but im looking for a more convenient way esp. for live shows and transitions between tracks and such..

thanks ppl, peace out

EDIT: Tried to make it less confusing
Last edited by marra on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Re: how to: rapid cutup / crossfader / timestretch effect

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't know for sure if this will get you in the right direction, I am having trouble pinpointing the exact effects you want.

One thing you can try is manipulating the clip warping features. Moving the warp markers in weird ways, and using the wrong warping algorithms can produce crazy effects. Plus in the automation editing for the clip, you can automate some of the knob parameters of the warping algorithms.

Another possibility is playing with Simpler/Sampler. You can automate different things in each, but both allow you to do some ghetto-granular time stretches. Either automating loop points, loop trigger points, loop lengths using LFOs, or just basic knobs (simpler has the lovely loop knob :D)

Then there are vsts that buffer things, and re-interpret them in odd ways. Depending on if you are using pc or mac, there are different options. On PC, I like playing with 'Glitch'. It has a tablestop type effect that can be manipulated in fun ways :)

marra

Post by marra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I don't know for sure if this will get you in the right direction, I am having trouble pinpointing the exact effects you want.

One thing you can try is manipulating the clip warping features. Moving the warp markers in weird ways, and using the wrong warping algorithms can produce crazy effects. Plus in the automation editing for the clip, you can automate some of the knob parameters of the warping algorithms.

Another possibility is playing with Simpler/Sampler. You can automate different things in each, but both allow you to do some ghetto-granular time stretches. Either automating loop points, loop trigger points, loop lengths using LFOs, or just basic knobs (simpler has the lovely loop knob :D)

Then there are vsts that buffer things, and re-interpret them in odd ways. Depending on if you are using pc or mac, there are different options. On PC, I like playing with 'Glitch'. It has a tablestop type effect that can be manipulated in fun ways :)
Hello!

Basically I'm looking for that quick chop-up effect as if you're using the crossfader when scratching.

A VST sounds nice, yeah, that I can put at the end of a channel and just switch on during a live set / vocal performance. Is there no native Ableton tool that can do this?

Glitch looks really nice, thanks for the tip. These fun ways you're talking about, could you post or PM me a demo?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 pm

For a quick cutting effect, use Autopan. Set the Phase knob to zero, and use the appropriate time settings. I'm a fan of the saw one, If you crank up the shape it becomes more of a square. If you want it on the offbeat, you hit the Normal/Reverse button.

The other option is Dummy Clips :) With that, you draw out your 'cutting' shape in a clip's automation envelope. This vid is a good demonstration:
http://nextstepaudio.com/pads-leads/tri ... eton-live/

Best of luck!

marra

Post by marra » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 am

yur2die4 wrote:For a quick cutting effect, use Autopan. Set the Phase knob to zero, and use the appropriate time settings. I'm a fan of the saw one, If you crank up the shape it becomes more of a square. If you want it on the offbeat, you hit the Normal/Reverse button.

The other option is Dummy Clips :) With that, you draw out your 'cutting' shape in a clip's automation envelope. This vid is a good demonstration:
http://nextstepaudio.com/pads-leads/tri ... eton-live/

Best of luck!
Oh yeah, dummy clips is it!! Thank you man!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:25 am

To me that sounds like the CDJ effect, which is just repeating a short snippet quickly, 16ths or 32ths works well. You could try doing it manually by selecting a 32th in your timeline and duplicating it a few times. For Live use, you could try Beat Repeat set up like this:

Then MIDI/Key Map the Repeat button on your Beat Repeat and you'll get that effect applied to whatever sound you catch when it is activated.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Another fun thing to do with Beat Repeat that I learned on a Thavius Beck vid is to drop the volume to zero to use it as a gate effect :D