Akai MPD-32 remote script (with red box)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
inrascable

Re: Akai MPD-32 remote script (with red box)

Post by inrascable » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 am

I also got those assertion errors and they were driving me mad. I tried overriding the handle_sysex in my main script with

Code: Select all

def handle_sysex(self, midi_bytes):
    return None
It worked! (I hope I'm not breaking anything)

kinnik

Post by kinnik » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:10 am

Hi Seppe and community. I'm currently making a remote script for the Novation Twitch and I've noticed that when you use a red box you introduce a fairly large latency to triggering clips (without quantize say), as opposed to if you simply map the midi signal to trigger individual clips. This issue has been reported by both APC40/20 and Novation launchpad users in this thread http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152679

Has anyone noticed this with the MPD? I would assume this would be even more of an gripe for users that are using a controller meant for juggling and live, un-quantized, drum sampling...

Does that all make sense? (I was clear enough?)

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 am

hi kinnik.

i have experienced this extra delay. i just posted about it in the thread you're referencing. to summarize, the control surface uses a scripting language to control ableton which appears to have communication delay compared to direct mappings. nothing we can really do about it and ableton likes to ignore these kinds of problems.

underbelly

Post by underbelly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 am

Hello,

Is there any way to change the control bank used to something other than bank A? My button for bank A broke and I was wondering if the it could be changed to bank C or D. Thanks!

Nightly Beat (http://soundcloud.com/nightlybeat)

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:30 pm

underbelly wrote:Hello,

Is there any way to change the control bank used to something other than bank A? My button for bank A broke and I was wondering if the it could be changed to bank C or D. Thanks!

Nightly Beat (http://soundcloud.com/nightlybeat)

This should be very easy. You can go two ways:
- change the CC numbers on the MPD so they correspond to the CC numbers used by the script
- change the CC numbers in the script so they correspond to the CC numbers on the MPD

It's been a while since I've used the script. I'm planning to test it again soon and if necessary, I will post an update. Given this, I would recommend following the first way, so you will be able to use future updates of the script.

Seppe

kvz8

Post by kvz8 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:44 am

awesome script! i'm trying out to use this script for my generic controller. how can i change the midi channel? also, how to assign the buttons for moving the redbox to another CC so i don't have to use the shifted script? (i have more buttons than mpd32)
+: "isn't that pretty loud?"
-: "what?"

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:40 pm

As I have very little spare time at the moment, I cannot answer all questions to adjust the script for a specific controller. It would be great though to see other forum members helping out a hand.

Seppe

Odile

Post by Odile » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 am

Hi, Seppe! I think your script is great, but I'm having a strange issue.
Whenever I try to add more than one device to a track (an effect or smth), the script crashes.

Here's what I get in the logfile:

Code: Select all

309436 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

309438 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 202, in set_appointed_device

309440 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 8.0.4\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\my_MPD32\ShiftableDeviceComponent.py", line 30, in set_device

309441 ms. RemoteScriptError:     
309459 ms. RemoteScriptError: DeviceComponent.set_device(self, device)

309461 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 142, in set_device

309462 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 8.0.4\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\my_MPD32\ShiftableDeviceComponent.py", line 56, in update

309475 ms. RemoteScriptError:     
309476 ms. RemoteScriptError: old_bank_name = self._bank_name

309478 ms. RemoteScriptError: AttributeError
309479 ms. RemoteScriptError: : 
309498 ms. RemoteScriptError: 'ShiftableDeviceComponent' object has no attribute '_bank_name'
309514 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

309515 ms. LSongAgent: End SetSongUnit
310270 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

310272 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 324, in build_midi_map

310295 ms. RemoteScriptError: AssertionError
310308 ms. RemoteScriptError: 
310310 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

310821 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

310841 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 324, in build_midi_map

310858 ms. RemoteScriptError: AssertionError
310877 ms. RemoteScriptError: 
310888 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

311374 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

311377 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 324, in build_midi_map

311403 ms. RemoteScriptError: AssertionError
311405 ms. RemoteScriptError: 
311419 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

315901 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

315908 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 363, in refresh_state

315936 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 8.0.4\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\my_MPD32\ShiftableDeviceComponent.py", line 56, in update

315939 ms. RemoteScriptError:     
315952 ms. RemoteScriptError: old_bank_name = self._bank_name

315955 ms. RemoteScriptError: AttributeError
315973 ms. RemoteScriptError: : 
315996 ms. RemoteScriptError: 'ShiftableDeviceComponent' object has no attribute '_bank_name'
315998 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

316061 ms. Default App: End ExchangeDocument
316418 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

316441 ms. RemoteScriptError:   File "H:\Dev\8.0.4-Final\Projects\AppLive\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 324, in build_midi_map

316477 ms. RemoteScriptError: AssertionError
316510 ms. RemoteScriptError: 
316511 ms. RemoteScriptError: 

How do you think I should go about this? Any tips?
Thanks a lot for taking time and sharing your script :)

EOCASPER

Post by EOCASPER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi guys !
I have the AKAI MPD32 and a few days ago I download this script and i followed all the steps
and everything works perfectly, but, The buttons S1 - S2 change the device and the buttons S3 - S4 do not work, I cannot select tracks ):

HELP ME PLEASE )))))))))))))))))))):

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm really sorry to say that I cannot give support for this script anymore. I really think it can be a great start for someone who wants to update it / change it / improve it. I will be happy to add links to new versions of the script in the original post.

DOME_CHOMSKY

Post by DOME_CHOMSKY » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm

hey, all.

I've been using this script for a year or two now and have been really into it. incredibly well done, except that i'm not that into the sends routing (though i certainly feel you on the 6db issue, that should really be something you can change in a DAW so performance focused...), so i normally just overwrite it manually to have faders control track volume (or i think i made a mod in vyzex that avoids that part of the script, can't quite remember.) so many thanks, seppe.

But now this is the first time i've tried to load it in live 9, and it seems it no longer works? i guess that's just because the launch-box protocol is different (likely to accommodate push). am i doing something wrong, or is that indeed the case?

i get that you're not down to keep supporting the script, seppe, and that's totally cool. but if anyone could confirm that it indeed no longer works, that'd be great. i'm looking to learn to write python scripts anyway, so i suppose with a little learning and perhaps some of julien bayle's published resources, i could probably figure out how to adapt it, though i wouldn't make any promises...

either that, or wait for my push (any day now...)

anyone have any suggestions?

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 am

I'm working hard with the documentation Julian has dropped on us, as well as going back through the old Hanz Petrov tutorials to get this running again.

My needs are simple: I need a 4 x 4 box that can navigate up and down in groups of 4, and left to right in increments of 1. That's it. Most of the other auto mapping stuff can be set up from your controller.

Let's keep this thread alive to share any breakthroughs or frustrations with each other. There's enough of us that want to see this again in 9.

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 pm

stinson

Post by stinson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:45 am

Is this supposed to give us the red box in session view or is this more like a boiler plate for various devices?

modecai

Post by modecai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

I've just gotten a used MPD 32, and am looking for a little guidance regarding the custom remote script discussed here, before I decide to take a crack at editing the script for myself with my limited knowledge. If anyone is still using this script, or has any tips / suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be checking out the remote scripts tutorials that were referenced in the making of this script and see if I can start to wrap my head around it. Over all though, this script is really wonderful and quite intuitive. I understand that Seppe is no longer working on the script or modifying it, but if anyone else has made changes to the script or has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some general questions:

- Is there a way to trigger clips without the need for "Full Level" / banging on the pads? I understand that the trigger needs to be >64 velocity to trigger the pad. I am hoping to be able to use a pad to begin recording a clip, switch to a bank, and start playing drums, though not necessarily on "full level"

- i noticed that you can still jump between tracks, and attach the blue hand to a device. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the blue hand jump between devices within a single rack / series of effects. Ie. if Track 1 Has a reverb on it, and then a delay after, is there a function in the script (that I'm missing) that can make the hand move left and right through effects? I also recall that there are some free unassigned Shift buttons (5-7?) and perhaps this could be put into the script.

- The transport functions are great, but I noticed that when I switch to a different preset, ie, the original Live Lite preset, the functions remain the same. Seeing that the live lite preset transport keys work in the arrangement view, and the custom script works through the session view, I was hoping that I could switch presets on the MPD to get different functionality of the transport buttons, but this does not seem to be the case.

All help or thoughts are appreciated :)