controlling ableton with my bass guitar for dubstep wobble

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nomadhang

controlling ableton with my bass guitar for dubstep wobble

Post by nomadhang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey everyone, I want to try and play a live wobble on my bass guitar, I was thinking I could play my bass through ableton to achieve this. First, does anyone know the method fro controlling ableton with a guitar? I guess I would need a midi pickup of some sort....

BoddAH

Re: controlling ableton with my bass guitar for dubstep wobble

Post by BoddAH » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14 pm

nomadhang wrote:Hey everyone, I want to try and play a live wobble on my bass guitar, I was thinking I could play my bass through ableton to achieve this. First, does anyone know the method fro controlling ableton with a guitar? I guess I would need a midi pickup of some sort....

There are audio to MIDI interfaces for guitars. Don’t know if this works for bass guitars as well but probably.
Maybe there’s a way to use an envelope follower directly on your bass sound input to modulate your wobble but I don’t know how. :mrgreen:

FuzzyKeys

Post by FuzzyKeys » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Basic concept that can be elaborated on in a billion ways:

Bass->1 Octave Down Effect 100% Wet (AT3, GR4, etc.)->Heavy Distortion/Waveshaping->Noise Gate (sidechained to your "clean" input signal->Low Pass Filter Plugin(s)

Assign a beat synced LFO to modulate the filter cutoff, use a MIDI foot controller to modulate the LFO rate.

Audio->MIDI introduces a lot of latency on bass guitar.

nomadhang

Post by nomadhang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 pm

hey thanks for the tips, still trying to get my head around all this, found this post though seems like this guy nailed it! http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthre ... ost2694996

lasersounds

Post by lasersounds » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 am

nomadhang wrote:hey thanks for the tips, still trying to get my head around all this, found this post though seems like this guy nailed it! http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthre ... ost2694996

hey thats me! let me know if you need anymore help.

btw my signal chain is a split signal with one going grain delay pitched up an octave, and another channel that is just the subbass. then make a dummy clip and run the midrange through it with a filter and make the lfo change depending on the dummy clip, i.e. you have a 1/4t, 1/8, and 1/16t wobbles and you cycle through them with a midi foot pedal.