my "hide tracks" work around

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
n8tron

my "hide tracks" work around

Post by n8tron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 am

this might already be a known way to work around this, but I started doing it in a few projects and thought I would share.

Basical, your basic tracks that eventually go unused. In pro tools I was always used to deactivating and hiding these tracks so when I had a cluster of them in Live it got annoying. I basically just make a group, call it unused tracks and throw them in there deactivated. I can collapse this and it doesn't get in the way at all.

Hope someone finds this useful.

luddy

Re: my "hide tracks" work around

Post by luddy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 am

Yeah, that's a good way to hide them.

Another way you can do this is to create a folder inside your project folder, and drag the unused tracks into it. I usually rename them after dragging to help remember what exactly the tracks were about. You can drag multiple tracks this way. Then just delete them from the project. If you want them back, you can just drag them back in! About the same time as dragging them down to the bottom of a PT session and deactivating them.

-Luddy

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 pm

wow, that is even better for tracks you want to keep but are almost 100% sure you may not use again. I keep forgetting about that feature with Live... it's pretty impressive.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Duh, I should have thought of that during the last recording session where I ended up with heaps of DI guitar tracks for possible re-amping... thanks guys!

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks...

Learned another feature of Ableton...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

sharkytowers

Post by sharkytowers » Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm

This is such an obvious thing that I would have never realized. Great tip!!!

itsbusinesstime

Post by itsbusinesstime » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am

Man i don't understand why we have to do all this for a damn basic function like hide tracks. I payed hard earned money to buy live suit and it sucks why they don't pay attention to essential basic functions, they keep pampering these daddies money rich wanna be artists with crappy music and never offer good basic functions to real music producers. Wish I could go back in time and start learning Cubase. Now its even too late to change the daw without having a major drop in production line.

chris harbin

Post by chris harbin » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:25 pm

Thanks for this!
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:17 pm

n8tron wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 am
this might already be a known way to work around this, but I started doing it in a few projects and thought I would share.

Basical, your basic tracks that eventually go unused. In pro tools I was always used to deactivating and hiding these tracks so when I had a cluster of them in Live it got annoying. I basically just make a group, call it unused tracks and throw them in there deactivated. I can collapse this and it doesn't get in the way at all.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Live now does auto save so you can name and delete track even and pull it back in if needed.

This will help free up resources as well where you can remove latency intensive tracks.

That said if you fear loss of data you can save track to an external location as well and pull it back when needed.

This is more archiving the track instead of hiding it.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:45 pm

You can also create an "unused tracks" in the Projects folder, and drag'n'drop there from the Browser as needed.
Ableton Forum Moderator