Tutorial - MIDI SET UP BEHRINGER FCB-1010 ON ABLETON LIVE

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
San Lima

Tutorial - MIDI SET UP BEHRINGER FCB-1010 ON ABLETON LIVE

Post by San Lima » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi everyone , this is a tutorial that i made that teachs how to tottaly set up a Midi controller pedal board Behringer FCB-1010 to do whatever you want on Ableton Live including the expressions pedals , i hope you enjoy .

Thank you Ableton for the support .

San Lima - Music Producer , Musician , DJ , Electronic Music Producer , Sound engineer .

FCB-1010 MIDI SET UP FOR USING ON ABLETON LIVE

Make shure that your FCB-1010 is with the factory preset making a memory reset , to do that just hold footswitchs #1 and #6 when turning the FCB1010 on .

Also you should download and instal this pack on your Ableton Live.(follow the link bellow )

http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/fcb1010-mappings/FCB1010.zip

Now with your FCB1010 connected to your computer by interface follow this steps:

1- Select the bank to be programmed lets use for example the bank 00 you can choose any other bank just pressing the FS =UP/ENTER= or =DOWN/ESCAPE=.

2-Select now the FS that you want to program in this example lets use #1 step on it to let the LED of the FS #1 on .

3- Now Hold the FS =DOWN/ESCAPE= for 2.5 seconds , you will see now that a green LED blinks on the display , if you see that 2 red LEDs turn on beside this green blinking LED indicating ''SWITCH1'' and ''SWITCH2''are on you shoal turn the off by holding FS #1 and FS #2 for a few seconds to turn them off , letting just the green LED blinking.

4- Now with just the green light blinking and none FS lights on , step on the FS =UP/ENTER= to confirm that you want to edit the FS #1

5- You will see now the lights of FS #1 ,FS #8 and FS #9 turned on , this means that those functions are already programmed to the FS#1 that we are editing , now we need to disable those functions , to do that hold each FS until you see the LEDs of the FS #1 ,#8 and #9 to turn off

6- Now we have to assign a Midi cc to tha FS that we are editing , in thin case FS#1 , lets do that holding FS #6 , the LED of FS#6 will now turn on .

7-Now just click on the FS #6 , the LED will now start to blink .

8- Press now FS =UP/ENTER= to confirm that you want to change the value of the MIDI cc for the FS#1.

9- You will se now a number shown at the numeric display that number indicates the Midi ccassigned to the pedal that we are editing , in this case FS #1 , to make the Ableton Live recognize the command , we have to change those MIDI cc of the FS's that we want to use to an undefined Midi cc our choices are from Midi cc # 22 to 31 and 84 to 90 , for this example lets use Midi cc 22 , now clicking on the FS #2 twice you will see the number in the numeric display changes to 22 .

10- The numeric display now should show the number 22 fixed , not blinking , press now FS =UP/ENTER= to confirm the selection.

11- Now the numeric display will show another number blinking , this number is the ''velocity''that for our purpose should be 127 , clicking tha FS's #1 ,#2 and #7 we will set this velocity shown on the numeric display the number 127.

12 -Now with the numeric display showing the number 127 fixed , not blinking, press the FS =UP/ENTER= to confirm the selection , the LED of the FS#6 should now stop blinking and stays on fixed .

13 - Our next step will be save those changes , to do that hold the FS =DOWN/ESCAPE= until you see the number at the numeric display change to 00 that is tha bank number that we are editing the FS#1 , the LED of the FS#1 should now stay fixed , not blinking.

14- The fastest way to check if its all correct , is opening the Ableton Live clicking on the button ''MIDI''at the up,right of the screen.

15- Select a parameter that you want to control with the FCB1010

16-now press the FS#1 of the FCB 1010 to confirm , will shown the vaue #/22 on the button that you selected on the Ableton Live , X means the Midicc and 22 the Midicc that you programmed on the FCB 1010 corresponding the FS#1

OBS : TO USE THE OTJERS FS OF THE FCB-1010 YOU SHOULD DO ALL THE CONFIGURATION FOR EACH PEDAL , INCLUDINH THE EXPRESSION PEDALS .

ENJOY.

SAN LIMA.

THANK YOU TO ABLETON LIVE AND DUB MUSIC DJs SCHOOL FOR THE SUPPORT.

Guff Tong

Re: Tutorial - MIDI SET UP BEHRINGER FCB-1010 ON ABLETON LIVE

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:04 am

Hi San,

I programmed my FCB 1010 in exactly the same way... Takes some time and a wee bit of tap-dancing but I got there in the end!

NB: More exciting for me is that the link you gave has in fact got full sys/ex dumps and remote scripts for Live!

The pdf in the file shows you can use bank 00 as basic controlls, clip launch etc... and the other banks controll each track (arm, record etc...)

All you do is dump the sysex into you FCB1010, copy/paste the remote scripts into Live, set the FCB as a controll surface and thats it!

Will try this at the weekend!

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey guys,

There is also an APC40 emulator script for the FCB1010 available at my blog, which is similar in some ways to manuel's script, except that it is fully customizable and includes an APC/Launchpad-style "red box". It also comes with a sysex file, for use with Live's "dump" function.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149512

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

San Lima

Post by San Lima » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Guff Tong wrote:Hi San,

I programmed my FCB 1010 in exactly the same way... Takes some time and a wee bit of tap-dancing but I got there in the end!

NB: More exciting for me is that the link you gave has in fact got full sys/ex dumps and remote scripts for Live!

The pdf in the file shows you can use bank 00 as basic controlls, clip launch etc... and the other banks controll each track (arm, record etc...)

All you do is dump the sysex into you FCB1010, copy/paste the remote scripts into Live, set the FCB as a controll surface and thats it!

Will try this at the weekend!

UNFORTUNALLY THE SYSEX DUMP WONT BE VERY GOOD , BUT ENJOY =)

scottkingmusic

Post by scottkingmusic » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 pm

This tutorial is very helpful and everything is working great other than the expression pedals. I'm not sure how to program these as you can't select them as a switch to edit. Also, is there a reason only numbers 22-31 and 84-90 can be used. This doesn't give a lot of control.

Thanks!

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Google 'remote user scrips' for it, there are loads now! Even mackie emulation.

:)

scottkingmusic

Post by scottkingmusic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:36 am

The FCB1010 doesn't show up in my MIDI preferences as a control surface. I'm not sure how to configure the ports so it will. The problem is that I'm not a MIDI guy, just trying to control Ableton without my APC40 (which is automated, easy for dummies like me!) Thanks for the response!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

just wonder - does this all work with UNO firmware?

Lascanto

Post by Lascanto » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:22 pm

What does pressing the 6 FS do? Can you interchange that with other FS's or does it have to be 6?

mjazzguitar

Post by mjazzguitar » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:53 am

This method works well !! I finally configured my FCB1010 footswitches for ableton.

Please help me to configure my expression pedals step by step. I would like to use on ableton too.

Thanks

OGP

Post by OGP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:22 am

At first I wasn't getting anything to light up when I was tracking until I did a factory reset. I've tried to setup button 1 to send CC22 @ 127. Nothing ableton shows tracking indicator when I press anything but won't assign anything when I try to map it in midi mode. Also, nothing flashes on armed midi tracks when listening to "all channels". Is my send channel to blame? Probably just need to sleep on it :/

minoulis

Post by minoulis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 pm

authorize code please?
doukas8@hotmail.com
thank you