Why is ableton so freaking quite?!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
icecoolmike

Why is ableton so freaking quite?!

Post by icecoolmike » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 pm

When ever i go form producing on ableton to listening to itunes or other music players they are a lot lot louder than ableton.

How am i supposed to mix music thats so quite compared to commercially released music?

I have put a limiter on the master and upped it to 6 db, but this only gives a little more volume.

How can i make ableton louder with out affecting the quality of the music?

Thanks in advance

jesus god sandal

Re: Why is ableton so freaking quite?!

Post by jesus god sandal » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 am

Yes, I too have noticed how Quite Ableton can be.
Colors for the Ears
musician name: en3
http://soundcloud.com/ianpluplu - random releases and WIPs
http://entheogensno.bandcamp.com - full length high quality downloads and listening

Neon Breath

Post by Neon Breath » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 am

icecoolmike wrote:When ever i go form producing on ableton to listening to itunes or other music players they are a lot lot louder than ableton.

How am i supposed to mix music thats so quite compared to commercially released music?

I have put a limiter on the master and upped it to 6 db, but this only gives a little more volume.

How can i make ableton louder with out affecting the quality of the music?

Thanks in advance
Welcome in the great mastering domain.

duckpow

Post by duckpow » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Ableton is quieter for a reason! You can make sound level go up to 6db above 'zero' on the master fader without getting any distortion.

If you wan't your mix to be louder while mixing/producing/writing then turn up the amp.
When mastering... import to another program.
- Well... but no!

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 pm

i don't care my knob goes to 11

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Quite what? Quite good? ;)

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 am

If your music is quiet it's because of what you are doing, not because of the program.
Commercial music is loud because the mastering engineers are told to make it loud and suck all the life out of it.
Some artists dont released overcompressed music, if you listen to a Ricardo Villalobos track or stuff on Kompakt like Superpitcher, they leave plenty of dynamics and their stuff sounds super good on the dancefloor. (I'm using dance music examples because that's a style that tends to be overcompressed for loudness).

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am

When I’m bored in the office, I often imagine a secret, underground club made up of 'Once only Ableton Live forum posters' - that, due to an overtly sensational, and at the same time very basic question, maybe containing a glaring grammatical error (or a mix of both) - Are now sat huddled together reading grubby photo-copies of the exalted Live manual in a grim, yellow candle light.... only to re-surface and re-register a couple of weeks/months/years later ( Of course making sure to avoid 'that' post that caused them to flee in the first place) asking how to properly layer and compress kick drums and the benefits of New York compression.

THAT bored.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:21 pm

That's QUITE bored, I must say.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:09 pm

pun intended, I take it.

:D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:32 pm

What gave it away, the capitalized letters?
:lol:

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:19 pm

i like how no one even attempted to help you! you can't teeecchnically boost the volume without affecting the quality, but there are some tricks.

one is sidechain! sidechain your pads and keys to your kick drum. sometimes it can help to sidechain the bassline to the kick too, but that can muddy things up pretty quick if you're not careful.

another is to compress the shit out of it. don't listen to people talking shit about "loudness wars". if it sounds badass, it is. sidechain, compress, compress more, then limit it and boost it. the effect racks in the "mastering" folder can be real sweet, check em out. the reality is, the dance music we love IS overcompressed. if you want to sound like it, you gotta do it too ;)

also you said quite when you probably meant quiet. easy mistake, these trolls will eat you alive!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 pm

1. Careful with reckless compression or you might experience some serious ducking issues. Compress responsibly, and keep in mind that certain bands of frequencies are friendlier when compressed together (lo, mid, hi) which is where Multiband comes in.

2. My ghetto-careless method for making something loud is just throwing a Saturator over the Master. If I don't change any of the default settings, all I have to do is turn up the Drive a few dB and I'm screaming.. Of course you still have to be very careful, and you will start to feel crunchiness on some of the sounds as they fold over. But you will never hit red :D

3. If you really want to get the most out of your sounds, carve out some of the frequencies that are not necessary. Sometimes this will mean doubling a part (like a bass with extra noise in higher freq's) so that you can do specific tweaking to the low end and the high end of it. When doing this, keep in mind what your primary focus instruments are on the track. You'd be surprised how quietly you can have some background elements and have them still remain audible. By doing this, you are making more headroom for the more prominent sounds. Then you get to be bangin' on some shit-tin-sounding speakers, or have that extra depth with headphones :) and most importantly, can fine tune the thump on your kick/bass chemistry.

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:40 am

Usedtobe wrote:i like how no one even attempted to help you! you can't teeecchnically boost the volume without affecting the quality, but there are some tricks.

one is sidechain! sidechain your pads and keys to your kick drum. sometimes it can help to sidechain the bassline to the kick too, but that can muddy things up pretty quick if you're not careful.

another is to compress the shit out of it. don't listen to people talking shit about "loudness wars". if it sounds badass, it is. sidechain, compress, compress more, then limit it and boost it. the effect racks in the "mastering" folder can be real sweet, check em out. the reality is, the dance music we love IS overcompressed. if you want to sound like it, you gotta do it too ;)

also you said quite when you probably meant quiet. easy mistake, these trolls will eat you alive!

Where did I put my "not sure if serious" pictures?

I was going to type a long reply countering that post but hopefully it's a joke.