How to monitor with effects but not record latency.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mayabong

How to monitor with effects but not record latency.

Post by mayabong » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 pm

This might seem stupid and obvious to some people, but it might actually help someone else. I love to use ableton's effects when I monitor (i have like 25ms latency or so) I just hate how the latency is recorded from your instrument.

Say your recording your guitar.

Just make a track set monitor to on and set the input to your guitar. Also put whatever effects you want.

Simply duplicate that track as many times as you want and turn the monitoring to off, and record all your loops to those tracks.

So far it seems to work fine for me.

Like I said this is simple, and i feel like a retard for not thinking of it sooner. lol

NF

Re: How to monitor with effects but not record latency.

Post by NF » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:26 am

The latency does not depend on Ableton Live. It depens on the power of your Computer AND Interface.

So should buy a good interface to reduce latency. summed in/out times <= 10ms are acceptable for live system response.
in the end no digital system is latency free.
the often pronounced "latency free monitoring" means, that the signal is cought before going into the computer. so you hear 1:1 what is going in.

when you have min a dual core and a good professional interface, you should be able to have a cracle free system with 11ms overall in AND out latency.

greetz
The cool thing about techno still, comparing it to most jazz is the improvisation coupled with raw energy.

mayabong

Re: How to monitor with effects but not record latency.

Post by mayabong » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:42 pm

NF wrote:The latency does not depend on Ableton Live. It depens on the power of your Computer AND Interface.

So should buy a good interface to reduce latency. summed in/out times <= 10ms are acceptable for live system response.
in the end no digital system is latency free.
the often pronounced "latency free monitoring" means, that the signal is cought before going into the computer. so you hear 1:1 what is going in.

when you have min a dual core and a good professional interface, you should be able to have a cracle free system with 11ms overall in AND out latency

greetz

Thanks for the reply. I am aware about the latency thing I'm thinking about getting a macintosh. But still with monitoring set to off I get about 1ms of latency and with monitoring on i get 25 ms of latency. So with my method I'm not recording any latency really.
But still getting to test out effects.