Follow Action Question

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
greentail

Follow Action Question

Post by greentail » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:36 am

Hi,

I'm new to live etc...

How can you get a follow action from a clip to trigger multiple different clips?

e.g (where x is a clip)

|---|---|---|-x-|---|---|---| (scene 1 - moves into -
|---|---|---|-x-|-x-|-x-|---| scene 2 - moves into -
|-x-|-x-|---|-x-|-x-|-x-|-x-| scene 3)

I can get the first clip to launch the clip just below it, but can I make it launch the scene?

thanks for all your help!

Apoplexia Music

Re: Follow Action Question

Post by Apoplexia Music » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 am

anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but i never read or saw anything mentioned in official literature about follow actions being able to launch scenes or clips in other tracks. a workaround maybe to use dummy clips in tracks in which you want silence sometimes.... so you can build your arrangement by launching a scene with some basic elements and then buld it up with follow actions to make other clips kick in

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:35 am

^^^Wot he said. You have to set the Follow Actions for the Clips, and use clips containing silent audio to make the "gaps". (Actually you'll only need one silent clip that you can use multiple times)

However, that done, it's not so bad, you can select all the clips in a scene by shift-clicking, and then edit the Follow Actions setting for all of them at once.

So if you don't mind making up some "silent" clips, it will still be a pretty quick process to set up the equivalent of "Follow Actions for Scenes".

HTH

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 am

or you could midi-map the scenes and trigger the next scene via midi yoke (or similar) at the end of a scene.

tom cosm has a tutorial on this somehow
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 10.0.1 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

sexface

Post by sexface » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:22 pm

2nd with the dummy clip approach. Just get any bar of audio and turn the volume all the way to 0 and use it as a place saver.

I even have a particular color for this in my sets (light grey) so that I don't go around mashing them and being surprised when nothign comes out!

Apoplexia Music

Post by Apoplexia Music » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm

i just saw on the Sound On Sound website that they published an article in october about a workaround for this very issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct10/a ... e-1010.htm

there is the link, since it is a fairly recent article you have to pay for it, or if you have an online subscription you have access to it...which i don't cuz i'm cheap :D

currently, Jon Margulies of Hobotech is talking about follow action tips on his 365 live tips page : http://www.heatercore.net/livetipslist.html

WFWS

Post by WFWS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 pm

I just downloaded the Clyphx midi control script from beatwise.proboards.com. That brilliant piece of work allows you to create a special track that holds midi macro clips that are very easy to use and can launch multiple clips simultaneously. You can also turn on and off many features like record, mute, arm, and change bpm, volume, quantize, record quantize, and so forth.
Its similar to dummy clips, but maybe a little simpler. The entire 'script' is very intuitive, and fits in the name of the clip. One clip can do many thing all on launch.
Check it out. It really should be a feature in Live. Clyphx for Live 8.13 I think. If you don't have that version or later, I think prolly dummy clips is the way to go.
Tom Cosm (Goggle his website) has excellent tutorials on using Dummy clips in extraordinary ways. 'Man's a genius.
Live 8 Suite, i7 2600K 8gb, 500gb 7200 HD, Firepod, Keystation 88, TrapKat, FCB1010
"Deliberate practice creates expertise"