Akai MPK Mini Script

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mattadms

Akai MPK Mini Script

Post by mattadms » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 pm

mothergarage released a completely revised version of this script on 9/9/2011!
Please go get it here and consider my version deprecated :wink:
http://mothergarage.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -live.html

---------------------------------------------------------
Legacy Version
Hey there,
I made some MPK Mini Presets + a Control Surface script.
Even without the control-surface script, the MPK's Pads map to the first 16 Pads of all Ableton Kits (if you wanna use all of them and map the knobs automatically, you should also use the control surface script).

Detailed instructions are included in the zip-file :-)
http://www.matthewadams.de/mpkmini_ableton.zip

---------------------------------------------------------

Useful Hints
vanil2 wrote:Just a reminder to all MPK users, if you use the editor while your DAW is open, no changes will be effective, you have to use the editor first, load you work in the mpk, and then only open your DAW :)
This may no longer be valid with mothergarages version of the script (please confirm)
As of right now (Live 8 ) Impulse does not auto-map to the pads. This is lives fault, in fact it doesnt map with any scripts.
The workaround for the MPK and this particular mapping is to drop a "MIDI-Pitch-Effect" in front of Impulse and set it to +24 Semi-Tones.
Windows
LakesideWiseman wrote:This might help some people having problems getting the script to work on Windows.
You have to put the MPK Mini Folder in your Users\<Your Username>\App Data\Roaming\Ableton\<Live Version>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts.
If you place it within the Ableton Folder in your Program files folder, it will still show up in the Control Surfaces drop down but will not work whatsoever. If it is placed into the Preferences folder everything works perfectly but in the Control Surfaces drop down it will now appear at the bottom of the list.
OSX Lion:
Apparently Apple decided to hide the Library Folder from the User. To get into it, press SHIFT+CMD+G (in Finder) and append Library so the path will look like /Users/<yourUserName>/LIbrary
Last edited by mattadms on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 am, edited 11 times in total.

samtastic

Re: MPK Mini / Control Surface

Post by samtastic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:36 am

thanks for that : )

you helped me get the pads mapped out better (which is pretty simple really, when the MPK Mini Editor software actually works - see below).

And got the knobs auto-mapping to selected device with your remote script. Woo : )

(will have to edit the script at some point though - as the midi channels you've chosen clash with other controller i use).

For anyone who has problems with the remote script, under the MIDI panel of Abe's preferences, select MPK Mini for each of the three columns, "Control Surface", "Input", "Output". I forgot to first time round and couldn't get it work for me.

For anyone else who has problems with the MPK Mini Editor Software (on a Mac):

After installing the version that came on the CD onto my Macbook, I couldn't get it to upload presets to the device. So I downloaded the one from AKAI's site. But i found that this kept kept crashing upon opening. And then I could only get the one on the supplied CD to open once I had trashed the one I downloaded.

Anyway, I couldn't get the software to upload the presets to the device - should say 'upload successful' or similar - on my Macbook at all (it's running OS 10.5.8 ), but it all worked properly on my Mac Pro (OS 10.6.4).

maybe AKAI haven't properly tested the software with older version of OS X?

gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:41 pm

MPK editor also crashes on me immediately as you try to open it for me as well. I emailed tech support. A week later they sent me an email asking if my problem had been solved. I said no, this is the only email I have received so far. That was also the last email to date I have received from them.
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah, I had the sample problems with the MPK Editor.
Also crashed like mad on me until I used the one from CD (running latest OSX Version).
Since the Editor is built in Max/MSP they probably only compiled it on OSX without further testing. Thats my guess.

Editing the MIDI Channels is very easy on both sides (the Control Surface Textfile is commented so you shouldnt have a problem finding it). The only thing notable is that the MIDI Channels in Abletons Script are from 0-15, whilst from 1-16 in the MPK Editor.
So Channel 15 in MPK = Channel 14 in Control Script and so on...

Btw: I thought about adding further functionality to the Drum-Pads to control the Grid with visual feedback, but no one really needs that or do you? (I have dedicated controllers for that myself)

jhoiland3103

Post by jhoiland3103 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:45 am

@mattadms THNK YOU!

stefski

Post by stefski » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 pm

@mattadms: this looks great, thanks.

stefski

Post by stefski » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 pm

mattadms wrote:Yeah, I had the sample problems with the MPK Editor.
Also crashed like mad on me until I used the one from CD (running latest OSX Version).
Since the Editor is built in Max/MSP they probably only compiled it on OSX without further testing. Thats my guess.

Editing the MIDI Channels is very easy on both sides (the Control Surface Textfile is commented so you shouldnt have a problem finding it). The only thing notable is that the MIDI Channels in Abletons Script are from 0-15, whilst from 1-16 in the MPK Editor.
So Channel 15 in MPK = Channel 14 in Control Script and so on...

Btw: I thought about adding further functionality to the Drum-Pads to control the Grid with visual feedback, but no one really needs that or do you? (I have dedicated controllers for that myself)
Here's a -1 for Grid control :) I don't think I could use it on the MPK mini.

The script is great. I'm really happy for the arp sync. From your pack - Preset 1 uses Ableton's tempo, and Preset 2 uses the controller's tempo for the arp. I can't use the controller to set master tempo, can I?

What are some examples of when I'd need to edit the UserConfiguration file? I tried reading along in the UserConfiguration.txt file but didn't really understand the comments. :roll:

Again, thanks for taking the time to piece this together.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

stefski wrote: Here's a -1 for Grid control :) I don't think I could use it on the MPK mini.
Thought so, too :)
stefski wrote: The script is great. I'm really happy for the arp sync. From your pack - Preset 1 uses Ableton's tempo, and Preset 2 uses the controller's tempo for the arp. I can't use the controller to set master tempo, can I?
Probably not, but to be honest i dont know.
Since there are no numbered keys to enter the tempo.
But you can control Abletons TAP Button via CCs.
1. Hit CMD+M (Mac) or CTRL+M (i guess) to enter the mode to assign MIDI Commands.
2. Click on the TAP Button on the top left.
3. Hit the "CC" Button on the MPK and then hit the desired Pad.
4. Hit CMD+M / CTRL+M respectively again.

Now the Pad you just hit can be used to Tap the tempo in ableton.
You can also use one of the knobs instead and assign them to the tempo display right next to the tap-area,
but you wont be able to use it on the auto-mapped control-surface thingys anymore.
stefski wrote: What are some examples of when I'd need to edit the UserConfiguration file? I tried reading along in the UserConfiguration.txt file but didn't really understand the comments. :roll:

Again, thanks for taking the time to piece this together.
Well, this isnt really a script. Not in a way like for the APC40 for example.
The UserConfiguration File comes with Ableton by default, I just took it and configured it to the MPK accordingly.
All functions and possibilitys which that file are basically done.
You can do stuff like changing the MIDI-Channel though in case something interferes.

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 am

I have an MPK mini and i tried putting that script in the file and uploading in the editor I can't tell any difference.

I am new, but what I really would like right now is to auto-map the 8 knobs onto the same 8 effect knobs that come with most instruments...and if the controls could shift when the instrument your playing shifts too that would be great...is this possible??

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 pm

djgoldenmonkey wrote:I have an MPK mini and i tried putting that script in the file and uploading in the editor I can't tell any difference.

I am new, but what I really would like right now is to auto-map the 8 knobs onto the same 8 effect knobs that come with most instruments...and if the controls could shift when the instrument your playing shifts too that would be great...is this possible??
Thats the whole sense of Automap I think.
You cant tell any difference? I can't really tell what went wrong by that :(

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

to be honest i have no clue how that editor works =(

but i did upload the script and it didn't auto map the knobs.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm

did you read the readme.txt included in the zip file?
uploading the preset (not the script!) to the MPK is step one out of two.
second step is copying the script into the appropiate ableton folder (for windows this should be something like c:\Program Files\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts, for mac: see readme.txt)

Wilco75

Post by Wilco75 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 pm

This is killing me. I've never seen so little documentation for any device. I'm still rather green when it comes to midi controllers, so I know my lack of understanding for the theory behind it all severely limits me, but why aren't there more specific instructions anywhere for getting the device to work?

Anyway...
I've uploaded the preset and the dropped the MPKmini folder (you did mean the whole folder, yes?) into the right spot. Dropped an impulse kit into midi track. The knobs are mapped right at any rate, but I don't understand how to get the pads working. I've read the User config as well but I just don't understand.

Sorry, but could someone illustrate this in some way. Thanks in advance.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

We had the Impulse-Issue already, that is because the Impulse-Pads dont seem to be automapped (unlike the drumracks).
Seems to be a common thing with Impulse (correct me if I'm wrong).
The only way to work around this issue is to add a "MIDI-Pitch-Effect" and set it to +24 Semi-Tones.

I think I will add a Preset specifically for those who never want to use the MPK without the control-surface-mode starting at +24 (that is because Impulse-Pads start at note C3)

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:51 pm

still no success whatsoever.

I uploaded the presets first, added the remote script after, did nothing.

one thing i noticed is that under control surfaces, mpk mini does not actually show up anywhere (under control surfaces i have selected MPK 25) , but input and output both have mpk mini as well as mpk mini editor 1 and 2 (which would be those presets correct?)

well anyway my editor program works fine and my controller works fine and i followed all of the instructions step by step so i really don't know what the problem is.

actually atm i cannot even manually map the knobs to any effects on the drum rack, so i'll keep fooling around with the options and hopefully something will work itself out.