Akai MPK Mini Script

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mattadms

Re: MPK Mini / Control Surface

Post by mattadms » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:01 pm

djgoldenmonkey wrote: one thing i noticed is that under control surfaces, mpk mini does not actually show up anywhere (under control surfaces i have selected MPK 25) , but input and output both have mpk mini as well as mpk mini editor 1 and 2 (which would be those presets correct?)
seems like ableton doesnt recognize the script. whats the exact path of where you copied your script?

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm

ok now i cant use any of those knobs at all and i am furious =(

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 pm

mattadms wrote:
djgoldenmonkey wrote: one thing i noticed is that under control surfaces, mpk mini does not actually show up anywhere (under control surfaces i have selected MPK 25) , but input and output both have mpk mini as well as mpk mini editor 1 and 2 (which would be those presets correct?)
seems like ableton doesnt recognize the script. whats the exact path of where you copied your script?
exactly where it said in the readme, users/library/preferences/ableton/live8.2/user scripts

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Like this?

Thats weird if its still not working. I dont know, maybe do a right-click on the script and open "Information" and check whether read/write-permissions are alright - but that'd be a quite unusual case.

djgoldenmonkey

Post by djgoldenmonkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:42 am

yup thats exactly what i did.

NOW mpk mini shows up under control surfaces.

pads still dont do anything in drum rack, and ALL of my knobs aren't being recognized at all. The only thing thats changed is the cord i use to plug it in, i left the one it came with in my dorm and the cord im using was for a GPS...or camera or something.

gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I understand how it all works but I can't get my mpk mini to send out any other midi channel other than channel 1. In your presets you upload to the mpk mini you have the knobs set to channel 14 and pads to channel 15. Well I upload the preset and then open up Midi Monitor to test and the knobs are still sending out CC's on channel 1. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Stupid mistake. I was uploading to one of the mpk editor channels instead of choosing the mpk mini. I also needed to change the mpk script to channel 13. Maybe I changed it to 14 before I knew any better? Either way I got it working great now. Thanks for your work!
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am

Glad you were able to sort it out. :wink:

Macumba

Post by Macumba » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi there !

It seems like the knobs aren't affecting any parameters with this mapping. Is that normal ?
Many thanks !

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:27 pm

No, they should be auto-mapped to the first 8 parameters of the device currently selected.

If not something went wrong (Preset not uploaded to MPK, Script not recognized,..)

pentd

Post by pentd » Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm

i also found it wierd that this mpk mini doesnt really work with live8.x but huge thanks for that script, now its at least doing something... gotta admit though that it works very well on reaper.

how crappy can the documentation for a device be... this one had a lousy manual, and akai www didnt help much either...

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:42 pm

thanks, i will try it !
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

vanil2

Post by vanil2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Just a reminder to all MPK users, if you use the editor while your DAW is open, no changes will be effective, you have to use the editor first, load you work in the mpk, and then only open your DAW :)

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 am

vanil2 wrote:Just a reminder to all MPK users, if you use the editor while your DAW is open, no changes will be effective, you have to use the editor first, load you work in the mpk, and then only open your DAW :)
good to know - updated the first page accordingly. thx :)

khertz

Re: Akai MPK Mini Script

Post by khertz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 am

Wow, must try this when I'm back home, as I couldn't see MPK Mini under my control surface :roll:

towers of silence

Re: Akai MPK Mini Script

Post by towers of silence » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm

@Khertz- make sure you look all the way at the bottom of your Control Surfaces list. It appears that only Live's stock control surfaces are listed in alphabetical order, at least on my machine any custom devices I add show up at the end of the list, they aren't sorted by name