Akai MPD-24 / MPD-26 remote script (with red box)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Seppe

Akai MPD-24 / MPD-26 remote script (with red box)

Post by Seppe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm

EDIT: I'm really sorry to say that I cannot give support for this script anymore. I really think it can be a great start for someone who wants to update it / change it / improve it. I will be happy to add links to new versions of the script in the original post.

A simple remote script that brings red box control to your MPD-24 or MPD-26.

Set up your MPD as follows (you only need to set up bank A):
- all controls are set to midi channel 1
- faders: F1-F6: CC12-CC17 -> F1-F4 control volume of tracks in the red box, F6 controls master volume, F5 is not assigned
- transport buttons: from left to right: CC115-119 -> move red box up, down, left, right
- drum pads: PAD1-PAD16: Note36-Note51 -> launch clips in red box

Here is the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15006701/my_MPD24.zip. Put the scripts in a my_MPD24 folder in
* Windows: c:\Program Files\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts
* Mac OSX: /Live x.x.x/Live.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts

If you have any problems / questions / suggestions, let me know. If you want to edit the script (feel free to do so) or want to write your own script, I highly recommend taking a look here: http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

If you own an MPD-32, go to this thread: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=150674.

Seppe
Last edited by Seppe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kelvingumbs

Re: Akai MPD-24 / MPD-26 remote script (with red box)

Post by kelvingumbs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:42 am

Seppe wrote:A simple remote script that brings red box control to your MPD-24 or MPD-26.

- faders: F1-F6: CC12-CC17 -> F1-F4 control volume of tracks in the red box, F6 controls master volume, F5 is not assigned
- transport buttons: from left to right: CC115-119 -> move red box up, down, left, right

Here is the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15006701/my_MPD24.zip. Put the scripts in a my_MPD24 folder in

If you have any problems / questions / suggestions, let me know. If you want to edit the script (feel free to do so) or want to write your own script, I highly recommend taking a look here: http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

If you own an MPD-32, go to this thread: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=150674.

Seppe
Holy smokes. I didn't think this would happen so quick. I'm going to download it now and test it out. My new MPD26 comes in the mail this week. I'm so AMPED now! I can't wait!

Thanks for doing this :)

PS. I'll let you know how it goes.
LOC.NES [Nothing But Beats]
www.locnesbeats.com
Setup: Apple Macbook, Ableton Suite 8, Akai MPD26, Akai MPC 1000

New-B

Post by New-B » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 am

I just picked up a MPD26 and have no clue what you are talking about....

Please help..
1) I see what the F1-F6 faders are, but what does CC 112-117 mean?
2) Can I assign a knob to scroll up and down through my live mix on four channels?

I appreciate the help, my friend.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:39 am

hey! this is cool...

a question... do you think it would be easy to re-configure the NI Maschine template, so it also has the red box?

it already fires clips off, but doesn't have the box.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

New-B wrote:I just picked up a MPD26 and have no clue what you are talking about....

Please help..
1) I see what the F1-F6 faders are, but what does CC 112-117 mean?
2) Can I assign a knob to scroll up and down through my live mix on four channels?

I appreciate the help, my friend.

If you want to use the script as is, then you might have to change the mapping of the faders and the transport controls. For example, faders 1 to 6 should be mapped to sending midi CC over channel 1 on the control numbers 112 to 117 (check your MPD manual on how to do this, it's not that difficult. Please pay attention to the fact that the transport controls also have to send midi cc data.

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

am wrote:hey! this is cool...

a question... do you think it would be easy to re-configure the NI Maschine template, so it also has the red box?

it already fires clips off, but doesn't have the box.

I think it would be easier to start with the script I supplied in this thread than to start from the Maschine template. All the information you need to write the script (and actually much more) can be found on http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/. Or you could buy me a Maschine and I'll write the script for you 8)

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:43 am

Seppe wrote:... Or you could buy me a Maschine and I'll write the script for you 8)
Hehe....

i'll have a shot... but all this stuff is a little out of my range of experience... but always up for learning new things. :)
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Amenbreak85

Post by Amenbreak85 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 am

Big up Seppe!
it works very nice, my MPD24 just got a new life.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 am

What excites me about this is, assigning only the four left pads to 1 channel for A, and leaving the remaining pads for plonking on. Then for B, do the same thing :D. Lastly, the 12 remaining pads on A, B, C, D can be arranged in different styles (one for drum rack, one for impulse, one for chromatic or tuned, etc.) ! :) ..Hmm, monitor on/off is another story.

New-B

Post by New-B » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 pm

So, I DLed the script and dropped it in "MIDI Remote Scripts"...
-What next :?:

Sorry if this is a dumb questions, I'm brand new to ableton

Many Thanks!

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 pm

New-B wrote:So, I DLed the script and dropped it in "MIDI Remote Scripts"...
-What next :?:
MIDI/Sync tab of Live's Preferences -> select the my_MPD24 folder under "control surfaces"
If you want the full (and better) explanation, read the first post on http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

good luck, let us know how it works out

kelvingumbs

Post by kelvingumbs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Seppe wrote:A simple remote script that brings red box control to your MPD-24 or MPD-26.

Seppe
Hey Seppe,

I'm still waiting on my MPD26 to arrive in the mail and I still can't wait to test out the script. I was wondering though, how easy would it be to change the up/down scrolling to move in steps of 4 scenes at a time. This way I figure if I have four audio tracks and four scenes I can have a clip for each pad.

If I could instantly scroll in banks of four scenes then I can have an almost unlimited number of samples available to me (Similar to banks on an MPC).

Please let me know if this is possible. I'm willing to try doing it myself, I would just need your help to point me in the right direction.

Once again thank you for creating this script.
LOC.NES [Nothing But Beats]
www.locnesbeats.com
Setup: Apple Macbook, Ableton Suite 8, Akai MPD26, Akai MPC 1000

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 am

kelvingumbs wrote: Hey Seppe,

I'm still waiting on my MPD26 to arrive in the mail and I still can't wait to test out the script. I was wondering though, how easy would it be to change the up/down scrolling to move in steps of 4 scenes at a time. This way I figure if I have four audio tracks and four scenes I can have a clip for each pad.

If I could instantly scroll in banks of four scenes then I can have an almost unlimited number of samples available to me (Similar to banks on an MPC).

Please let me know if this is possible. I'm willing to try doing it myself, I would just need your help to point me in the right direction.

Once again thank you for creating this script.

I think you would lose flexibility in this way, because you wouldn't be able to position the redbox in any way you wanted. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement it. Making big jumps with the red box is done by setting session_zoom. Check e.g. the code of the Block script (Livid Instruments) to see what I am talking about.

Seppe

New-B

Post by New-B » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 am

Seppe,

This is exactly what I had in mind. Right on brotha! :D

I'm having some issues though...

-It automatically mapped my 6 knobs CC12-CC17 (Which is what I programmed the faders to do) So my knobs and faders do the same thing. I want the knobs to be free to control effects during a live set...

-It requires me to push my pads super hard to launch the clip, is this normal?

Thanks a bunch for the helping everyone out!

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 am

New-B wrote: -It automatically mapped my 6 knobs CC12-CC17 (Which is what I programmed the faders to do) So my knobs and faders do the same thing. I want the knobs to be free to control effects during a live set...
You can easily change the functionality of CC12-CC17. Check the _setup_mixer_control section of the script in a text editor and delete or change what you don't like.
New-B wrote:-It requires me to push my pads super hard to launch the clip, is this normal?
Have you tried setting them to "full level"? Apparently, the clips need velocity > 64 to be triggered
New-B wrote:Thanks a bunch for the helping everyone out!
No problem