Akai MPD-24 / MPD-26 remote script (with red box)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kelvingumbs

Re: Akai MPD-24 / MPD-26 remote script (with red box)

Post by kelvingumbs » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Seppe wrote:
kelvingumbs wrote: Hey Seppe,

I'm still waiting on my MPD26 to arrive in the mail and I still can't wait to test out the script. I was wondering though, how easy would it be to change the up/down scrolling to move in steps of 4 scenes at a time. This way I figure if I have four audio tracks and four scenes I can have a clip for each pad.

If I could instantly scroll in banks of four scenes then I can have an almost unlimited number of samples available to me (Similar to banks on an MPC).

Please let me know if this is possible. I'm willing to try doing it myself, I would just need your help to point me in the right direction.

Once again thank you for creating this script.

I think you would lose flexibility in this way, because you wouldn't be able to position the redbox in any way you wanted. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement it. Making big jumps with the red box is done by setting session_zoom. Check e.g. the code of the Block script (Livid Instruments) to see what I am talking about.

Seppe
Cool, but keep in mind I'm a bit of a noob. Where would I find the Livid Instruments Block script?

BTW, I finally got my MPD26 (with the upgraded pads) in the mail and tried your script. It's a work of art dude! Using your script will make my live performances easier to set up! (I've included pics of my new toy just for giggles).

Thanks again man!
IMG_2115 by locnesbeats, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by locnesbeats, on Flickr
LOC.NES [Nothing But Beats]
www.locnesbeats.com
Setup: Apple Macbook, Ableton Suite 8, Akai MPD26, Akai MPC 1000

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm

cool pads!

the block script can be found here: http://blog.lividinstruments.com/forum/ ... hp?id=1161

lotrian

Post by lotrian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:30 pm

:wink:

Good Job !!!
Thanks !!!!

letstango

Post by letstango » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Seppe!

I'm really stoked to try your script out -- but I haven't been able to get it fully working.

I've copied the script to my remote scripts folder and loaded it in ableton. I see the redbox around the decks/master and I can successfully select and launch tracks that I add to it. However, I can't seem to get the knobs/sliders to do what I want.

This is currently what my MPD 24 is outputting on channel 1A

|1 |2 |3 |4 |5 |6

[48] [49] [50] [51] *10 *7
[44] [45] [46] [47] *11 *12
[40] [41] [42] [43] *13 *14
[36] [37] [38] [39] *15 *16

Legend:
|# - slider
[#] - pad
*# - knob

I looked through your script and it appears you have knobs 12-15 mapped to control the respective deck volumes. I actually want these to be the sliders up top, but changing:
mixer.channel_strip(index).set_volume_control(SliderElement(MIDI_CC_TYPE, CHANNEL, 12+index)
to
mixer.channel_strip(index).set_volume_control(SliderElement(MIDI_CC_TYPE, CHANNEL, 1+index)

doesn't seem to work. Also I noticed the master volume was set to 17 -- which knob/slider is that?

lastly -- I know moving the red box is mapped to the transpose buttons at the bottom which are the <<, >>, play, and stop. But I can't seem to get them to work.

I'm relatively new to this, so your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! :lol:

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:59 am

letstango, it's easier to change the output of the mpd than to change the script. Check the first post of this thread to see how the faders and the buttons are setup in my situation. Notice that CC17 corresponds to the last fader and that the transport buttons should be set to sending midi cc. If it's still unclear, then check the MPD32 thread with a picture of the mapping.

Seppe

letstango

Post by letstango » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:33 am

lol, this is very true. I actually got the mpd as a hand me down, so I figured it was set up correctly.

Anyhoo I've got the faders set up dandy now, but I can't seem to figure out how to modify the output of the transport buttons. They're outputting as MMC right now -- newb question I'm sure -- but how can I change this?

Thanks so much in advance Seppe!

Edit -- After doing some surfing, I read I need to upgrade to firmware v1.10... Browsing over a few threads I see a LOT of people have had major issues upgrading the firmware on the mpd. Do you have any recommendations on doing this update? As well as where to find the v1.10 file? I dled vyzex from the akai website but couldn't find the firmware file. Thanks!

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm

letstango wrote:
Edit -- After doing some surfing, I read I need to upgrade to firmware v1.10... Browsing over a few threads I see a LOT of people have had major issues upgrading the firmware on the mpd. Do you have any recommendations on doing this update? As well as where to find the v1.10 file? I dled vyzex from the akai website but couldn't find the firmware file. Thanks!
Don't know about that, sorry

digitalchris

Post by digitalchris » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 am

i know how to change the midi cc values on knobs, faders, and pads, but I can't find how to change the transport control values so i can navigate the redbox.... any suggestions? I checked the manual and I can't see how.

thanks

Carl Mikael

Post by Carl Mikael » Sun May 08, 2011 5:57 pm

HEY!!! i'm so fokin happy u made this, but i've got a problem.. I've done everything you say, but the my_MPD24 option in the control folder isnt there..? any ideas?

Okay, it works now, but i can't figure out how to assign the transport buttons...?

Locust Reign

Post by Locust Reign » Wed May 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello Seppe and thanks for sharing this script. I am very excited to try it out.
I'm a newborn baby to ableton so please dumb it down for me - i cant find this directory anywhere on my computer -
Seppe wrote: * Mac OSX: /Live x.x.x/Live.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts
I obviously have the /live x.x.x/ but the rest is not inside of it. How else can I access this contents folder?

Also, with my mpd26, i am looking to be able use designated pads to launch clips while still having the ability to use the others as "drum pads". will this be possible with this script?

*EDIT*
Locust Reign wrote: How else can I access this contents folder?
Go to- /Live.x.x.x/ > Right click- Live.app > select- "show package contents"
Last edited by Locust Reign on Thu May 19, 2011 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Locust Reign wrote:
Seppe wrote: * Mac OSX: /Live x.x.x/Live.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts
i obviously have the /live x.x.x/ but the rest is not inside of it. how else can i access this contents folder

also, with my mpd26, i'm looking to be able use designated pads to launch clips while still having the ability to use the others as "drum pads". will this be possible with this script?
Sorry, I don't have a mac, so I cannot check it.

For drumming, just use the pads in banks B, C and D

nonni

Post by nonni » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Amazing script! Thanks.

But, like the other users, I´m having problems with the transports. They are sending cc message on 112-119 and functioning as rewind, forwards, stop, play and rec, but are not affecting the frame (which is blue in Live 8, not red).

Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Update:
For example, this is what is happening in my Midi MOnitor when I press the rewind button:

MESSAGE CH DATA
Control 1 Controller 115 127
SysEx Akai 10 bites
SysEx Akai 10 bites

Thanks.

r.e.g.

Post by r.e.g. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:15 pm

This is AWESOME!! Thank you so much seppe!
Got everything working correctly... Curious to how you would change the color of the box in the script?

****EDIT****

Haha nevermind. You just have to change what control surface box in your preferences the my_MPD24 folder is listed.

day-la

Post by day-la » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Hey i'm completely new to scripts. The one i downloaded from here works great!! thank you!
I just have one question, is there a way you can have the 'note repeat', 'tap tempo' and 'time division' buttons assignable to whatever you want? (example: turn on an effect device)

Seppe

Post by Seppe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 pm

day-la wrote:Hey i'm completely new to scripts. The one i downloaded from here works great!! thank you!
I just have one question, is there a way you can have the 'note repeat', 'tap tempo' and 'time division' buttons assignable to whatever you want? (example: turn on an effect device)

As far as I know, these buttons don't send MIDI, so you cannot asign them to anything...