djing ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jacek

djing ableton

Post by jacek » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm

hi
i would like to know that is possible mix tracks wit different bmp in order to be comprehesive nature
example: hiphop 90bmp with house 130 next ghetto house 145 bpm and how ???
and which ways of warping tracks you would recommend me?? i have little problem with it, because if i try mix 2 tracks sometimes projection one track and isnt so natural
many thanks

gncgry

Re: djing ableton

Post by gncgry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm

there are several methods you can apply, what do you mean by "natural"?

how would you mix these tracks with two TT or traktor and sound natural?
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

We have a lot of tutorials on this over at the FAQ section of AbletonLiveDJ.com, might want to check over there.

jacek

Post by jacek » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 am

gncgry wrote:there are several methods you can apply, what do you mean by "natural"?

how would you mix these tracks with two TT or traktor and sound natural?
natural mean like my mixes to be clean / smooth / seamless and the beats will match perfectly :)

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 am

what ableton does is: it matches beats. so you can fire up three loops in 90 bpm, 140 bpm and 170 bpm, if they are properly warped they'll all play in sync.

rest is up to your composition, selection of loops, effects, audio quality of the loops and such...
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

jacek

Post by jacek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 pm

oh i forgot ask about warping.. what kind of files should i warp- wav or mp3 or doesn't matter??
and is it some different between warping mp3/wav?
thanks

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

When you drag an mp3 into ableton live, it renders it as a wav in a folder for reference. Also, if your original source is of the highest quality, the mp3 will be of reduced quality. If however, your original source is an mp3, I do not know if it'd be worth it to convert it up to wav.

One thing that is sometimes tricky, is using an external drive to transfer mp3's amongst different computers. Since Live is rendering the mp3 files as wav onto your computer, it uses that as one of its references when you set up warp markers. I've heard different kinds of stories on whether or not mp3's still hold their original warp information when used on a different computer.

Wav on the other hand, I've never had a problem going from computer to computer and retaining my warp information.

The big factor when it comes to quality is, if you are doing extreme pitch changes, the artifacts of an mp3 will become more and more apparent. (the artifacts also become more obvious if you attempt phase cancellation). Plus, you usually lose a tiny bit of high end, and muddy up the bass.

If you absolutely must use mp3, I'd look for tips on good quality ripping. (once again, if your original source material is an mp3, it wouldn't really be necessary to try re-converting it)

jacek

Post by jacek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 pm

hi
i would like to know that my warping method is right, i try describe it
1. found first kick and ableton show me grey triangle, made double click and have warp
2. right click- choose "set 1.1.1 here
3. choose "warp from here (straight)

sometimes the beats matched perfectly and sometimes didn't
what do you advice me.. i saw many tutorials but didntt very helpfull
thnaks :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 pm

This is how I like to do this, it might be good practice, or it might be a waste of time. It is all up to your personal taste. I recommend trying it though.

I do set 1.1.1 on the first beat. Then I zoom in, and hold shift while I drag the underlying waveform SPOT ON (at a transient) to that marker. After that I hit Ctrl+A (select all), and hit Delete. This way, I can add my own markers (I trust my own warping abilities much better than Ableton Live!!). Now, I look at the following waveforms, and hope that they are aligned with the grid. I'll move my way down a few bars, nudging (dragging the gray triangles) tightly onto the beat without actually making them into markers yet. After a few bars (maybe at the 17 spot, which is the start of the 16th bar) I will drag the marker spot-on, and double click it. Then I'll zoom in again with the shift (unless I'm feeling lazy :P). Basically, I might have most of a whole track seeming 'on', so I will only use 3 or 4 markers. Whatever it takes to make sure it is all tight. If you want you can turn on the metronome, or play a loop, and listen to different parts of the track mixed in with that after you warp it. This will give you an idea as to whether or not your work was a success.

Lastly, you have to choose the appropriate warping algorithm. This is sometimes a manner of taste. I personally do not like the Transient warp method for beats, but I think I see a good number of people using it.

The better and more indepth you get with this stuff now, the easier it will be in the future (you won't even have to think about it haha)