Best drum pad controller?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Dragonbreath

Best drum pad controller?

Post by Dragonbreath » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi,

I want you guys opinion on drum pads.

I have a Mpk49, while I love the controller overall (keys, faders and knobs, general construction),
I find the pad response is simply horrible. This pretty disapointing considering Akai is know for there pads with the MPC's
A friend a mine has a m-audio axiom 49 1st gen, Although overall I didnt like the controller (especially the knobs)
the pads were really responsive. ALOT more musical then the mpk49's. I have to slam the mpk49s to get a response.
Makes it very hard to make use of the velocity sensitivity. The axiom was great with velocity you could tap and get a very gentle resonse,
or hit them hard and full response without slamming the controller.

I was wondering what you guys have for experience with these types of drum pads. What is a good set of pads with a nice velocity to it.
I tried "modding" the mpk49 with tape as other have suggested. While I did get a slight improvement it mostly made them stiffer.

I need suggestions!

yur2die4

Re: Best drum pad controller?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Maschine. If you really want the best, Maschine. It is worth every penny. (The software is quite exciting also!)

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Yah maschine looks well built but its more then I need and too expensive.

All I need is 16 pads that have good response, maybe a few knobs and faders

Is that too much to ask. Im looking around online and theres just no such thing. Only Akai, but the pads all suck.

The pads on axiom 49 were awesome, a controller with 16 of those would be perfect!!
Come on M-audio! The market needs this!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 pm

M-Audio used to have the Trigger Finger :)

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Yes, Maschine pads are about the most sensitive. But Korg PadKontrol pads are just about as good as Maschine. Strange why nobody has mentioned it. Korg PadKontrol & Maschine have the best & most sensitive pads, more sensitive than Akai. If you don't need all the Maschine integration, & you're doing it all in software, get the PadKontrol, it's a no-brainer. It's cheaper & more compact than either MPK49 or Maschine.
Last edited by icedsushi on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:46 pm

I actually don't like my padkontrol :( but, I am pretty much the only one it seems that hasn't had the greatest experience with it. The features are nice. The pads are kind of weird for me for some reason.

I did however love my MPD24. I don't know if the pads on that one are any different from the other Akai midi controllers??

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Dunno, guess we've had different experiences then. I've tried many different Akai in stores & used to own an MPC500 & LPD8. I didn't think any of them were as sensitive as PadKontrol or Maschine. MPC500 & LPD8 were definitely decent though.

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 am

+1 on the PK. I find the pads are excellent. Seems to be the general consensus on a few different forums too.
MBP 2.3GHz QCore i7 4GB | Ultralite mk3 | 10.7.4 | Logic Pro 9.1.6

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 am

Ever think about buying used? YOu might be able to find a trigger finger on craigslist for less than $100. I see one local here in Seattle for $80. Most people are too stupid to even get it hooked up to use this stuff.

you talked about the Axiom. Thats what I have and I *love* the pads on it. :D

And truthfully 8 pads is not as limiting as you might think at first. By pushing 3 buttons on the keyboard I switch to the next bank of drum pads. Another 3 buttons and I'm on the third bank, etc etc. The controller holds 20 saved groups.

OR if I wanna switch with a mouse I can switch drum banks with a few clicks using midi translator.

So I don't feel that I absolutely need 16 pads. 8 with banks is fine. I never find myself hitting 16 pads in the same playback anyway.
Last edited by seattletruth on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 am

yur2die4 wrote:I actually don't like my padkontrol :( The pads are kind of weird for me for some reason.
Maybe it would help narrow this down if you describe a little more what weird means. You originally asked for pad response/sensitivity & PadKontrol definitely has that.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 am

Yeah, I was hoping not to sound so negative when I said that, sorry. I hear a Lot of positive feedback on the padkontrols. I would say that if there are that many fans, you can't go wrong.

Mine, it is kind of an odd physical situation. My 2 bottom right corner pads either hang, or randomly crosstalk at any hint of a vibration. I am afraid to take it apart haha. Other than that, there are a lot of really pleasant qualities about the PK. I'd like if they had customizable quick-assign (the shortcut ones for volume/cutoff/res/reverb).

Because of my pk though, it has me a little weary :( . I do love the heck out of my Maschine though. (btw, does PK have channel pressure??)

Edit: What about the NEW Korg NanoPad?? YUM
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/01/k ... /#comments

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 am

Hmm, guess you got a defective PK, exchange it, warranty?

Sorry about earlier post (re:pad response/sensitivity) I confused you with the OP.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 am

Its seems the Pk is the only viable alternative!
The flam and roll features on it seem kool, but something about it just doesn't appeal to me!

I would consider buying used but only if I knew I had considerable improvement by doing so...

I heard a few reviews that the trigger finger you had to slam them as well...

Does anyone else find it weird that is shear lack in the midi drum pad controller!!

Drum rack is perfect for my needs but I need a proper controller for it...

I would get the axiom but I already have a keyboard and the knobs suck on the axiom

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 am

What about the novation launch pad?

How is pad sensitivity on those?

(edit) LOl... nevermind they arnt velocity sensitive!

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:08 am

Dragonbreath wrote:What about the novation launch pad?

How is pad sensitivity on those?
no dynamic, it has are just on/off buttons

did you see there´s a black padkontrol too? http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=414

i have maschine and padkontrol, the pads are excellent on both. and they flash in the dark :idea: