Modifying one track with another, MIDI track

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Hull

Modifying one track with another, MIDI track

Post by Hull » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 pm

I've got a midi track that's a drum beat, and I want to use the drum hits to cause a fluctuation in volume and pitch in another track. I'm able get the midi drum track into the receiving track, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the envelopes (volume, pitch parameters).

I haven't found a good tutorial on this in my searches. anyone know of one? Or a quick explanation they could give?

Thanks!
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

Yoseph

Re: Modifying one track with another, MIDI track

Post by Yoseph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:06 pm

it's called side chaining...but it's not midi...its controlled by audio amplitudes. In some live pluggins (compressor, gate, autofilter) there's a triangle button to the right of the on/off button...explore :P

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

side changing won't change pitch values tho. However, if it's a midi track just make sure you select midi input from your drum rack. Then use a combination of pitch and scale to change your pitch to whatever you want.

Hull

Post by Hull » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Ah, ok, so I need to do it manually? Not a problem, but I was wondering if there was some sort of automatic function in Live that would do that.

I'll also look into the sidechaining when I'm back in the studio.

Thanks!
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:03 pm

do you have max for live? There's a really useful patch that takes incoming audio and uses it to drive an envelope which can then control any other parameter in your live set, which you could use to drive pitch changes...
i drop on the lokeymassive

ton

Post by ton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 am

Hull wrote:Ah, ok, so I need to do it manually? Not a problem, but I was wondering if there was some sort of automatic function in Live that would do that.
You can output your drum track notes additionally via Midi-Yoke out, then use this Midi-Yoke as midi control input for Live, then assign those notes to any parameters you wish.