Avoid the Crash Report screen

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lx71

Avoid the Crash Report screen

Post by lx71 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm

I never liked that Bug/Crash Report screen. I understand its usefulness, but only if you intend to send your bug in to Ableton. Also, it can seriously slow down the reload times plus you have to manually close that screen.

Thankfully I found the way to avoid it. All you'd need to do, is remove the 0 byte CrashDetection.cfg file.
On windows 7 it's located in
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live[version]\Preferences\
On XP, that would be
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Ableton\Live[version]\Preferences\

The way I do it, is to start Live from a DOS script that simply deletes this file and then starts Live.

I hope this is not considered too dirty a hack. If it is, please feel free to remove this post.
Also, if there is a cleaner way to do it, I would like to hear about that.

This may have been mentioned or requested before, but I think no one is going to send in a bug report the first time Live crashes on something. You're going to have to make sure the issue can be reproduced, so you'd have to start Live at least a second time, which would offer the opportunity to then choose to have the Crash Report be displayed the next time it crashes.
Check out the UltraDevice http://vimeo.com/21841158. A DeviceComponent with more than 8 controls!
Here is my music: http://soundcloud.com/goalex

2be

Re: Avoid the Crash Report screen

Post by 2be » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks a lot! Very useful.

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 am

ShelLuser wrote:Not meant to be snobby or anything; but IMO the best way to avoid it is not to have any crash at all ;-)

I tend to agree with your comment about the first time a crash occurs, but even then this information might be useful for Ableton. Would we all stop sending in those reports then it (c/w)ould make their live (or better put: our lives in the end) a whole lot harder.

And I wouldn't worry about the post being inappropriate; in the end its still the user's decision what to do anyway.
Almost all my crashes are caused by my ASIO drivers - so I really want that Crash report screen to go for good...

tek1

Post by tek1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Just short to pin this down for once and all.

Because what many users don't realize is that there is also the need for Ableton starting completly without a user in a media installation usage. In this szenatio the crash report comes up everytime because the installation gets just shut down from the power switch.

I write it down here so that I don't have to find it out a third time:

Create a .Bat file and use the following commandlines.

DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\CrashDetection.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Log.txt"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Crash"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"
rmdir "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp" /S /Q
MD "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"

cheers

earlyodaka

Post by earlyodaka » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks a lot tek1!

footsy

Post by footsy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 am

K1D1M35N wrote:Not meant to be snobby or anything; but IMO the best way to avoid it is not to have any crash at all ;-)

I tend to agree with your comment about the first time a crash occurs, but even then this information might be useful for Ableton. Would we all stop sending in those reports then it (c/w)ould make their live (or better put: our lives in the end) a whole lot harder.

And I wouldn't worry about the post being inappropriate; in the end its still the user's decision what to do anyway.
Some PC users have problems, because hardware is different then maybe your Mac, or your overly expensive PC.

If you have a PC and still think you are better than everyone... go to FL studio with all the other people that think the same. Maybe you'll teach them something that's actually useful. ;)
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 am

footsy wrote:
K1D1M35N wrote:Not meant to be snobby or anything; but IMO the best way to avoid it is not to have any crash at all ;-)

Some PC users have problems, because hardware is different then maybe your Mac, or your overly expensive PC.

If you have a PC and still think you are better than everyone... go to FL studio with all the other people that think the same. Maybe you'll teach them something that's actually useful. ;)
:D

I like how even though you didn't even know if he had a PC or a MAC that you came up with a "flame" that covers both bases even though that post was as flammable as a wet brick.

elektruck

Post by elektruck » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 am

tek1 wrote:Just short to pin this down for once and all.

Because what many users don't realize is that there is also the need for Ableton starting completly without a user in a media installation usage. In this szenatio the crash report comes up everytime because the installation gets just shut down from the power switch.

I write it down here so that I don't have to find it out a third time:

Create a .Bat file and use the following commandlines.

DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\CrashDetection.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Log.txt"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.4.1\Preferences\Crash"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports"
DEL /S /Q "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"
rmdir "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp" /S /Q
MD "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"

cheers
This is exactly what I'm looking for but I don't know how to fix it?!
I'm making an instrument for schoolkids, with an integrated PC running Ableton Live. The teacher has to power on the machine without a screen or mouse etc, just hit the power knob and at the end of the day hit the powerknob again, so the PC will shut down. Everytime Live should just loads its template without asking for anything, like crashreports etc. I think the answer is in the above text but maybe someone can help me succeed this issue. Any help apreciated!

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 pm

What I'd enjoy even further would be a section-by-section tour of the crash log such that individuals can parse data and come to their own conclusions as to what caused the crash.
I'm thankful that they reply, nonetheles the ableton team will only have time to reply with whatever caused the final straw. There's probably lots more folks can do to promulgate stability in their sessions.

Kiof

Post by Kiof » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Many thanks to the author.
I propose an enhanced version :

DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live 10.1\Preferences\CrashDetection.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live 10.1\Preferences\Log.txt"
DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live 10.1\Preferences\Undo.cfg"
DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live 10.1\Preferences\Crash"
DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live Reports"
DEL /S /Q "%AppData%\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"
rmdir "%AppData%\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp" /S /Q
MD "%AppData%\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp"
"%ProgramData%\Ableton\Live 10 Suite\Program\Ableton Live 10 Suite.exe"

Rgds,
Kiof.

housebrand

Post by housebrand » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:41 pm

hey folks,

just fyi. you don't need a bash script that cleans up your caches.

All you need is the following entry in an Options.txt file that is located under mac here HD:/Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/
if the file doesn't exist, just ceate one:

-NoRestoreDocumentDialog

in addition to that you can add following tag to disable crash reporting aswell:
-DisableAutoBugReporting

all the best,
christian

www.christianlosert.com